Timelines

Bill's POV

I opened up yet again another portal to a different time line. How many times have I done this now? Ten...twenty times? Thirty? I couldn't remember... But I'd keep doing it.

I stepped from that time line into the other closed up the opening. I was now back in Gravity Falls. I looked around, making my best effort to smile. I ran up to where the Mystery Shack was and knocked on the door.

I waited impatiently. Don't worry.
It'll go all right this time. Nothing will go wrong this time. It-it'll all be fine.

The door opened up, and Pine Tree peered out. "Oh...Bill..." He sounded highly displeased.

I flung myself at him, wrapping my arms around him into a hug, almost crying.

"What the-" he stumbled backwards confused, his blue and white hat falling off of his head. "Bill? What the hell?"

I held him tightly like he was going to fade away if I let go. "Pine Tree, Pine Tree. I'm so glad I found you." I whispered.

I could sense his confusion, but I learned to not bother explaining after so long. "Let me go, man!"

"No, I can't. I-I can't." I pulled away, making sure I didn't cry. "Pine Tree, go up to your room. Let's stay in there." I yanked him across he house and into his bedroom, slamming the door and locking the windows and the door. "You're safe in here!" I hugged him again, making sure he didn't run. "You're safe in here."

"Bill! What are you doing?! Get your hands off of me!" He began to panic.

"No, just, listen. It's a long story. Stay in here and you'll be safe!" I begged him, now holding his hands.

"Safe from what?!" He cried and tried to pull away.

"Just safe."

He had no idea what was going on, and I knew that explaining would do no good. All I could think about was that first timeline... "Dipper, just stay in here!"

"Mabel!!!" He screamed and I clamped my hands over his mouth.

"SHSHSH! Don't!" I pleaded desperately.

"Are you going to kill me?!"
Horror fled into his gaze and he started kicking at me.

I have to keep him safe. Keep him safe. I told myself. I knew that all of this would be worth it. "Pine Tree, you can't leave this room." I cried and tried to hold him still, but he refused. He had no idea what was at stake here.

"Leave me alone!" He ordered me and began trying to grab anything on me: my shirt, my hair, anything so I'd let him go.

You'd think I'd be used to it by now. It actually hurt worse the more I did it. "Babe! Hold still!" I exclaimed.

Only for a moment, he stopped struggling. "Babe?" He echoed baffled.

I swallowed. "Yes?"

Pine Tree looked me over. "Are you...are you...?" He tried to tug his arms away gently. "Why'd you call me that?"

I bit my bottom lip. "B-because..."

"What the hell is going on?!" He asked me.

Maybe he'll remember...somehow. "Dipper, something is going to happen. I need to keep you safe."

He narrowed his eyes as I still held both his wrists tightly in each of my hands. "When did you care about my safety?"

"Since forever, kid!" I informed him and took a deep breath.

"You're planning to kill me!" He screamed and tried to run back to his door. "You're going to-"

I grabbed his face and turned it towards me and kissed him.

Pine Tree almost screamed and stood there ridged.

I drew away quickly, my eyes watering.

"Wha..you..."

"Just believe me." I begged him. "You need to stay safe this time."

Pine Tree flushed and while I was distracted, yanked his hand free and smacked me straight across the face.

I stumbled backwards in shock as he bolted for the door, swung it open and raced away.

"NO!" My scream was shrill as I bolted after him. "GET BACK HERE!!!"

Pine Tree had snatched his hat and was now racing with it in hand to the door; and he finally made it outside.

"DON'T GO OUTSIDE!" I shrieked and leapt out the door, looking for him frantically.

I knew he was waiting somewhere in the forest for Pine Tree. Waiting.

"PINE TREE!" I called and began my pursuit into the forest after them.

In the distance I could see him running into the forest in a blind panic. He thought I was going to kill him.

No, no, don't go any farther! Don't go any farther!!! I pleaded silently. I tried to pick up the speed, but it's not like it's easy to be jumping timelines.

My eyes widened as I began to recognize this part of the forest. "NO, DIPPER!" I tried to run faster, but I wasn't fast enough.

Suddenly a loud gun shot sounded through the forest, breaking its still silence. The bullet sailed straight through Pine Tree's heart and he stopped running, and began falling over.

I skidded to my knees, catching him just as he landed and into my lap. I sat there, absolutely stunned.

No...no...no... I gently slid my arms under his lifeless body and held him, my entire body trembling like a leaf. "No, no." I whispered as tears formed in my eyes. "No NO! NO!" I began crying and screaming as I cradled him. "DIPPER, I TOLD YOU!"

I hugged onto him as tightly as I could, bawling onto him.

"Why did this have to HAPPEN AGAIN?!" I looked over at his hand and saw the pine tree hat lying on the ground. I laid him down and took the hat, glaring at it through blurry eyes. Not again, not again. I held it tightly, letting my tears soak into it. I just wanted my Pine Tree back.

But I new I couldn't stay here. I had to leave.

I bent over and lightly kissed him on the lips and stood up, desperately trying to wipe the tears away. I raised my hand and cast a spell, opening a portal.

A portal to another time line.

I did my best to put on a smile as I stepped through it and onto the other time line as I raced off to the Mystery Shack...