prologue

"Mani, you're hurting me!"

"This is urgent," Normani insisted, pulling Lauren into the elevator. She punched in the special code on the keypad.

Lauren pushed her glasses up. "I told you I don't care about your mechanical suit-"

"This isn't about Iron Girl," Normani snapped. "And it's an awesome suit, shut up,"

"Well, I mean-"

"Shut up," Normani said again. The door opened, and Normani dragged her friend through the door into her lab.

"I asked you to keep me out of your avenging,"

"I told you to never call me an Avenger," Normani grumbled, hitting keys on the computer. Lauren crossed her arms behind her, impatient.

Normani bit her lip, before turning to face Lauren.

"Okay," Normani said cautiously. "You have to promise to not to freak out,"

"Freak out? Why would I freak out? It's not like you kidnapped someone," Lauren shrugged.

Normani's eyes widened. "Uh, right,"

She turned back to the keyboard, internally cursing.

"Jarvis, pull up the stats on our friend," Normani called.

"It seems like she is not someone as Miss Jauregui implied," Normani's artificial intelligent unit said. "She insists that she is heir to the Asgardian throne,"

"Asgardian?" Normani questioned. "So she is who we think she is?"

"Yes, miss. She is the one the Avengers are looking for,"

"I told you I don't want to be apart of your avenging!" Lauren protested.

"It's not avenging! Iron Girl is not an Avenger!" Normani waved her hands in frustration. "The Avengers are an elite force run by the government, I refuse to let my creation be S.H.I.E.L.D's plaything,"

"As did her father's friend, Hank Pym," Jarvis cut in. "Smart choice, Miss Hamilton,"

"Exactly, and if Uncle Hank taught me anything, it's that S.H.I.E.L.D will stop at nothing to be the most powerful. I'm not letting my suit fall into their hands," Normani sighed. "Until then, I'm just going to save people my way, with no government breathing down my neck,"

"They're going to unmask you eventually," Lauren pointed out.

"Which isn't going to be anytime soon," Normani brushed off. "I wear a mask,"

"Which could be taken off,"

"Stop being a pessimist," Normani rolled her eyes. "Jarvis, let's see our friend,"

Lauren walked up next to her best friend and crossed her arms. "You told me you didn't kidnap someone,"

"I didn't," Normani took a deep breath. "I took something,"

A glass chamber pulled up in front of the girls. A girl, around their age, stood in the center, unmoving, emotionless.

Then she charged.

The girl smashed into the window, hitting it repeatedly. Lauren flinched, taken aback.

"She can't get to you," Normani reassured, "The glass is made of the strongest substance in all the realms, she's powerless,"

"Realms?" Lauren asked. "Who is that?"

The girl behind the glass answered for her.

"I am Allyson! Daughter of Odin and heir to the throne of Asgard! And I swear on my last breath, that I will rip apart the one who has captured me-!"