Untitled - Chapter Eight

"This is the New Hampshire Police Department. Ivy Rowland, we'd like to ask you a few questions. What are the names of the two with you?" A figure asked. There were three or four policemen standing outside Ivy's house. The one calling to her was particularly fat, and had the face of a wrinkled pig. "S-Sadie Westbrook, sir!" A stuttering blonde replied. Sadie was going to need some help with getting accustomed to seeing policemen everywhere she went. Ivy sighed and turned to Alex, signalling her to say her name. "My name's Not," she called. "Not Putting Up With Your Shit Today Tice. Oh, Tice is spelled T-I-C-E. Got it?" A wide smirk was spread across her face, and her hands were placed calmly on her hips. The policeman's mouth was open in a gaping "O".
Ivy interrupted him before he could say anything.
"You're wondering about my parents whereabouts, I presume?" She called. "Y-Yes ma'am. We've heard some concern from your teacher and thought we'd drop by for a home visit," he called back, ignoring Alex's comment for the time being. His cheeks caved in to wrinkles whenever he moved his mouth. It was disgusting. "They're not here," Ivy said. "Well. I'm sure their ashes are somewhere around this forest, but that's it. I killed them quite a while ago," she quickly added. Sadie felt a drop of sweat trickle down her face. How unafraid she was to blatantly admit to killing her own parents was most definitely not okay. The policeman's mouth turned into a fleshy frown. He tilted his sunglasses downward to look at Ivy. "Is that a confession, ma'am?" he hesitantly said. Ivy shrugged. "I suppose so."
. . .
Click. The sound of the safety being turned off on a gun. Alex recognized it instantly. The police officer had his gun pointed firmly at Ivy, a single bead of sweat running down his pig-like face. Her eyes bore into his, no sign of fear whatsoever.
"If something happens, I'll spin my pocket watch around in a circle twice before putting it back in my pocket. If I give that signal, I want you to go get your axe immediately, Alex. Sadie, when I give the signal, I want you to run to Merinan's house. Okay?"
Those had been Ivy's words. If she thought she might die, she would give that signal.
Alex watched carefully for the signal. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. A full thirty seconds passed in silence. The pocket watch hung loosely around Ivy's fingers, still.
"I want you to put your hands by your head, and walk towards me, please, Miss Rowland," the policeman finally said.
The sound of a pocket watch being dropped.
Alex averted her eyes to Ivy's hand. The pocket watch hung loose, but wasn't swinging.
Ivy raised her hands, swinging the pocket watch a single time.
Alex tensed.
She took one step forward.
Slowly, she swung the watch in a second loop, and brought it back into her hand before sprinting towards the policeman at full speed.
Alex turned immediately, running though the trees to get her axe. She had hidden it behind a tree close by, close enough that she could get it at the signal, but far enough that the police couldn't see it if they looked in close range. Gunshots boomed in the distance. Hurry, Alex.
She picked up her axe from behind the tree and turned around, almost falling over from how heavy the it was.  She slung it over her shoulder and ran back at what felt like fourty miles per hour.
Might I mention that, all the while, she had absolutely no idea what she planned to do or how to do it.