Chapter Seven

A part of Rosemary was practically gone. A very large part. Burned down with everything else that had belonged to her in that little apartment. She gave her heart and soul to the place that she once called home. Now that it was gone, her heart and soul burned down with it through that large storm of fire. A dull, aching pain had spread inside her. It was like a blade had been plunged in her chest. Then pulled out. Then pushed back in. Out. In. Repeatedly. Continuously. Ruthlessly. Such pain. Of heartbreak and depression.

A lit cigarette had caused the fire. Someone had dropped it (Ok, I saw this in a movie, so... yeah). Who in their right minds would ever think to smoke in a freaking apartment building? Rosemary mentally cursed. She didn't give a damn if whoever dropped the cancer stick felt terrible about it, or if it was an accident. They had taken her home away, accident or not.

"Now what?" Carol said numbly.

She, Russell, and Rosemary were at Russell's home in the quiet living room. Quiet. Just what Rosemary needed after listening to everyone's screams and cries as they watched the apartment burn to smithereens.

"We don't have a home," Rosemary croaked.

"We could find another apartment," Carol suggested rather hopelessly.

"It won't be the same," Rosemary groaned.

"I could... call my parents," Carol shrugged. "They wouldn't mind us staying there for awhile."

"Or," Russell piped up, "you could stay here."

"Babe, don't even go there," Rosemary said firmly.

"Well, why not?" Russell demanded. "I'm not gonna leave you two living on the streets."

"We're not gonna," Rosemary rolled her eyes.

"No, I'm not gonna let you wander around until you find a place to stay," Russell said. "It's not happening. Besides..." A sad, forced smile crept up to his lips. "We were planning on living together sometime, right?"

Rosemary sighed. "I guess," she mumbled. "But, Carol..." She turned to her best friend.

"My parents are just a phone call away," Carol smiled. "And I don't want to undermine your love life, so..."

"You never did," Rosemary knitted her eyebrows together.

"Just being here changes you two's lives," Carol said gently. "And I don't mean that in a good way either. Rose, I'll be fine. Trust me."

Rosemary hesitated. "Are you sure?"

"Rose, honey, let's be honest," Carol smirked. "When have I not been sure of anything?"

"Good point," Rosemary weakly chuckled.

The clock behind them ticked endlessly and softly. The birds outside sang their beautiful melodies. The grass rustled and danced to the rhythm of the gentle wind. The tap in the kitchen forced out a few droplets of water, causing them to fall to the sink and make a small splat. The steady breaths that blew out of the three's noses came out evenly. And then silence. Clock ticking. Birds singing. Grass dancing. Water dripping. Steady breathing. More Silence. Ticking. Singing. Dancing. Dripping. Breathing. Silence. The pattern continued for several minutes.

"So it's just you and I, eh?" Russell said quietly.

Rosemary slowly nodded. "That's right."

She peered up at him, her eyes locking with his. A lopsided grin lit up his face.

"Love you," he winked.

"Love you too," Rosemary murmured.

She just didn't know if she really meant that.