Chapter Twenty

Black clouds. She was in a thick black cloud. She heard nothing. Saw nothing. Only felt the heaviness in her body, so heavy that she couldn't move. Then, a voice. It wasn't speaking. At least, she didn't think so. But there was a voice. It was bright, unfamiliar, and vague. Then she heard more. She heard the sound of buzzing, like machines. She heard tapping near her. She listened carefully, straining her ears to her heart's content, trying to make sense of it all. But nothing came to mind.

Then, an aching surge of nausea jolted inside her stomach. She felt a splitting headache coming on, almost like a migraine. A bitter taste crowded her mouth. Her lips were dry, chapped. Her throat felt as if someone had dug their claws into it and dragged it down. Slowly, she peeled her eyes open. She was greeted by a blurry, bright, white light.

She knew one thing. She was in a white room. White walls and ceiling, white bed sheets, white floors... But what was this peculiar room, she wondered.

"Rosemary?"

It was the same voice that had been humming. She didn't know who it belonged to, but she knew it was a woman's voice.

"Oh good, you're awake," said the voice.

Rosemary blinked several times to clear up her vision. She opened her mouth to ask where she was, but all she could muster was a moan. She felt a gentle hand touch her forehead and brush her hair out of the way.

"You're in the hospital, sweetheart." The voice was closer now. Right next to Rosemary, in fact. And the voice seemed to know what she was thinking of. "How're you feeling?"

"Head's killing me," Rosemary moaned.

She blinked one last time until her vision finally cleared up. On her left was a pretty lady who looked no older than thirty. Her milky brown eyes were soft and kind. Her honey-blonde hair was curly as it cascaded down her back. She wore a white lab coat and a tag that was labelled "Doctor White".

"You can call me Kathleen," she winked. "Could you do me a favour and state your full name please?"

Rosemary furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "Erm... Rosemary Dawn Ackers."

"Good," Kathleen smiled warmly. "Just had to make sure. I'll go get you some pain medicine. You just sit tight and try to relax, ok?"

Rosemary nodded absentmindedly. Kathleen headed towards the door, but stopped when she opened it. She turned back to Rosemary and grinned.

"You have a very loyal boyfriend, by the way," she said softly.

"Boyfriend?" Rosemary rubbed her temples.

"Yes," Kathleen's eyes travelled to the right side of Rosemary's bed. "He stayed here with you all night. He claimed he was your boyfriend and insisted on staying. You're very lucky."

"Boyfriend," Rosemary mumbled tiredly. She followed Kathleen's gaze, and her eyes landed on a head that laid on her bed, sleeping soundly all while sitting uncomfortably in one of the white plastic hospital chairs. Rosemary's breath caught in her throat.

It was Davy.

"Anyway, I'll be right back," Kathleen informed Rosemary.

And she left, leaving behind an awestruck Rosemary. Rosemary stared at the sleeping Davy beside her, her mouth hanging half-open in shock. Davy had said... what?

He told Kathleen he was Rosemary's boyfriend.

He insisted on staying with her.

And he did.

All night.

He was right there, sleeping with his head laying next to Rosemary's arm. She felt a spark of hope flash in her stomach. But it was replaced with confusion.