Part 4

The wind howled as it blew through the towering sky scrapers in the Dark Zone. It wasn't as bad as earlier, though. My legs dragged through the deep white blanket of snow and I had difficulty getting the crutch through it. I held on to a pistol in my left hand, loaded and ready to fire at any attackers. I felt like a tortoise carrying a large backpack, an assault rifle, and a sniper rifle on my back. No one else seemed to be around. Then again, it was hard to see in the dense fog.
After an hour of what seemed like wading, I was able to see a long wall sitting in the horizon. My hope returned to me in an instant. I quickened my pace and I headed for the wall. Then I heard a faint groan. I knew it didn't come from a rouge agent, the groan sounded like it was from a younger individual. I scanned the area using my pulse ability and found where they were hiding.
I made my way to the back of a semi truck and saw a shivering boy about my age. The symbol for a Division agent was imprinted on the side of his jacket, which either meant he was agent or he stole it from one. He was holding his knee, which was coated with red. When he looked up, his green eyes were clouded.
"Hello," I said softly. I crawled towards him, crouched down, and offered my hand to him. I left the crutch on the ledge of the truck. The boy retreated and cringed. "I won't harm you in any way, I'm here to help."
He relaxed a bit and stared at my hand, then up at my face. His hand slowly reached out for mine. I waited patiently, trying to look as friendly as possible. He finally grabbed it and shook it.
"Chris," he said quietly. "My name is Chris. I work for the Division." I saw his eyes focus on the symbol on my jacket. "I see you do, too."
"Yeah," I said. "I thought I could find out what's in the Dark Zone. Turns out, I'm everything but prepared for this." Chris was still grasping my hand. His expression showed that he was obviously as scared as I was. I felt pity for the poor kid. "I found a way out of here. You could come with me if you want, I'll protect you."
Chris sighed in relief. "Thanks so much! I'm afraid I can't go fast in this condition, though."
I handed him my last medic kit, hoping he would accept it. He hesitated for a moment.
"You sure you don't need this?" he asked.
"I'm better off than you right now," I replied. I knew I shouldn't have lied, but I felt he needed the kit more. Thankfully, my ankle was hidden in my boots and the blood on my shoulder looked like an old stain. He used the equipment inside the kit to relieve the pain in his knee. I decided not to ask about it until we got out of the Zone.
As we stepped out of the truck, Chris clung to my backpack like a cat. I thought I heard the sound of the rouge agents attacking Rioters in the distance. Chris nervously grabbed his pistol, preparing for battle. When I saw he pulled out his weapon, I realized he heard it too.
"We have to move quickly," I whispered. "There are rouges after me." He nodded and we started to rush towards the wall.