Chapter 1

I could hear the large crowd roaring in applause. This is where I belonged, where I was meant to be.

As I prepared for my next trick, I tried to see past the bright, shining stage lights to look for my beautiful wife Marry. We had been together for five years now, today marking our anniversary. When I found her I called her to the stage as a "random" volunteer. She was disguised as a blonde 40 year old woman named Sally. Without the disguise, she was a beautiful brunette with dark colored eyes. Though for now she needed to be someone else. It was especially hard to get her to do it because it was our anniversary night. So I agreed to see a chick flick with her after the show.

She walked on stage, pretending to be a little frightened. I pointed her to my box of wonder. A brownish wooden box with several slits on the sides and top of it. I opened the sleek wooden box and put her into it. To my right was an array of sharp swords I would stab into the box and supposedly stab into my beautiful assistant.

We had practiced the sword through lady routine over 50 times to insure the safety of her. When she was in the right position, I locked up the box securely and turned it around to show that it was solid and no way to escape from the so called "dangerous" box.

I gave the key that unlocks the lock on the box to a random spectator so that there was absolutely no escape. I told the man to keep the key in his pocket until the magic trick was finished.

I walked over to the array of 15 shining swords. I picked up one and tapped it on the stage floor to show that it was completely solid. I then took a big bright red apple, threw it in to the air, and cut it cleanly in half. I knew the audience could see what was about to happen and I could imagine the awe on their faces.

I took the sword and slowly and drammaticly walked to the box. I stabbed it into the lower side of the box. The audience gasped in awe. Though I knew I had not really stabbed it into her.

I took the next sword and stabbed it into the middle side. Nice and easy. When I finished putting 10 swords into the side of the box, I took the next sword and put it into the top of the box. I took the remaining four swords and very dramatically through them into the top of the box.

When they were all securely in, I walked to the right side of the box and spun it around to show that there were no gimmicks or tricks. I wished I could see the awe on the audiences faces over the large blinding stage lights above me.

I then went to the side of the box and took the first sword out. The audience gasped over the lack of blood from the sword. I took the next one out and the next, and the next. I got down to the last sword in the box at the top middle.

I slowly took it out and the audience started roaring. Not in applause or amazement, but in true terror. Confused, I looked at the sword and almost barfed on myself. Dripping from the blade was a bright red liquid. The blood of my dying wife.