Chapter 8

When he said no time, he really meant no time. Within 2 minutes we were in a large swamp hidden from site.

"I'm going to go get some gas do we can burn this to hell. I'll be back in about 20 minutes," he handed me his shotgun. "Anybody comes choose, shoot them on site, and make sure they're dead."

James ran off to the nearest gas station, leaving me to my own thoughts. I looked back on my past. I remember the first time I started magic. It was on a trip to Texas for one of my Aunts wedding. After the wedding we went to a small restaurant were I met a guy named Lewis, a good friend of my mom who new how to do magic. He went to me and asked for a dollar, being at the age of ten, I had no money, so my dad have him one. He took the dollar and rubbed it on his shirt. He then let go of the dollar and made it float in between his hands. It was an amazing feat and at that moment, I knew magic would be the thing I would do for the rest of my life.

I started learning it with the help of Lewis and started my career through YouTube. I quickly got popular at school and had gotten thousands of his on my videos. I decided to start doing parties my Junior year of high school and became famous around my town, even doing stage performances every now and then. The summer of my Senior year I was performing on stage in Orlando for a small gig. After the show a man in a suit came up to me and offered me the biggest deal of my career. He offered me 10,000 per show I did, to start. So I jumped on that deal right away, my first show was a huge success, bringing in 100,000 dollars. After 3 shows, he upped my pay to 30,000. I performed there once every week, quickly rising in fame all around the U.S.

After a year, I left his stage and created my own stage. I had twice add much success than before. I started touring all around the world. On a trip to Las Vegas, I had called up a very pretty single last named Marry. She was just spectacular on stage, so after the show I asked her if she would like to move with me to Florida and be my assistant. After much thought she agreed. We quickly fell in love and 3 years after we got married. We did shows together all the time. But 5 years after our marriage, she died tragically. After that night, I closed down the stage and swore that I would never do magic again.

Now here I am supposedly in huge danger from who knows what, on the run from the cops, probably never to be heard of again.

I heard crunching sound of leaves ahead. I quickly got out of my daze and aimed the gun towards the sound.

"Hey its just me, put your gun down," I heard James say. But I couldn't trust anything.

"Show yourself then," I yelled back.

"I saw a figure slowly come out from behind the trees. James came out in full view with his hands up with a gas can in his left. His left. Something was wrong. Back in our high school years this same situation had happened when he went out to get us drinks. And somebody had been behind him out of sight with a gun trained at him. Five shots were fired. Two hit me and the others hit James. Somehow we were lucky enough to survive the incident. And from then on, if he had his hands up and the thing he was carrying was in his left hand, he wasn't alone.

Still no putting down the gun I told him to come closer. James slowly walked closer to me at an angle to where the man with the gun had to show him self. And when he did, I shot him before he could do anything. James and I ran over to him as fast as we could. The guy was a bloody mess. A whole straight in his abdomen. James grabbed him and pulled him to his face.

"Who the hell are you working for,?"he asked. But it was no use, the  shoved the pistol to his head and committed suicide.

"Poor mother fucker, all I asked was a simple question. I wasn't going to kill him," James then drug the body over to the police car and threw him in. He offered me a lighter, "Want to do the honors?"

"I'd rather not, but you can," I responded.

"Alright," he poured the gas all over the car and lit it aflame.

We sat there watching the car burn to pieces and talked about our young years. It was move to just sit down and talk to him. It had been years since we had done this and it felt nice. After a good 30 minutes when there was nothing left of the car but an ash pile, we started heading off to his super secret house.