Chapter 7

As soon as we heard the sirens, we darted for the car. I hopped in shotgun and James got into the drivers seat, he reached for the keys, but they were out of the ignition.

"Damnit!" James stormed out of the vehicle over to the decapitated bodies. But it was too late. The cops were already here. There were about 7 squad cards and they surrounded us with in just a few seconds. They got out and went behind their doors, guns out. I put my hands up, but realized that they hadn't noticed me. All guns were trained on James, who was already on his knees with his hands behind his head. I noticed his hand ushering me to duck down. I quickly kneeled down and put my head to the floor board. I heard the officers yelling directions to James, but I couldn't quite make out the words.

I quickly went through all the choices of how the hell I would get out of this. So far, I had nothing. I then heard a cop say to check the rest of the scene. Come on, I'm a magician, there has got to be a way out of this. But it was to late. A cop came over and opened the door. When he spotted me he quickly threw me out of the vehicle and cuffed me. He then walked me to a squad car and through me in with James.

"Hey!" James said enthusiastically.

"Of all the things you could have said after being thrown in a cop car and probably spending the rest of our days in jail, you say hey?" I asked him.

"We can get out of this. They're just cops," he said as if he had done this a million times. Though I wouldn't put it past him.

"So what's your idea on how to get out of this?" I asked.

"Do you have a pic?"

"No, why on earth would I have one? I'm not the one who gets arrested all the time."

"I mean, you are a magician. What was your saying back then? A magician without a pic is no magician, instead he is an ordinary muggle?"

"No, you substituted pic for playing cards."

"What's the difference? Pic, cards. Come on, your a magician, you should be ready for anything."

"Actually, I stopped performing ever since Marry's death."

"Oh. Well, I have a bobby pin in my hair, think you can get it?" he leaned his head towards mine. Without arguing, I bit the pin out of his hair. He turned around and opened his hands, which I spat the pic in. He caught it and turned his back to the seat as 2 officers started walking to the car. One of the officers was real short and fat and looked like he ate doughnuts all his life. He hopped in shotgun. The other was about 6'5" and as scrawny as a twig. He kind of intimidated me, I'm 6'2" and taller than most people.

"How's it going back there?" the fat one asked.

"Oh, just splendid. I'm having the time of my life back here. Thanks for asking Dunkin," James said sarcastically to him with a long smile.

"Looks like we caught a bit of a smart ass," the skinny one chuckled.

"Shut your mouth Twig, nobody asked you." Dunkin and Twig, how original.

"He's a mean one. Come on let's get going," Dunkin said to his buddy. Twig put the car into drive and we headed for the station.

James gave me a nudge and put the pic in my hand. Within seconds, the cuffs were off. I silently put them down on the seat behind me and slid the pic in my back pocket, arm positioned behind my back to create the illusion that the cuffs were still on.

I turned my head over to James and gave him a look saying now what? He then threw down a picture he had drawn behind his back on the seat, depicting two guys choking two guys with hand cuffs. He had great art work for doing it behind his back. He showed me his fingers and started counting down from 5 with them.

But there was just one issue... How are we going to get past the safety glass? But before I even got the chance to ask, James sprung into action. He sharply kicked the glass, which somehow managed to knock it down. He then started choking the cop and swiftly broke his neck and hopped to the steering wheel. I picked up my hand cuffs and wrapped it around Dunkin's wrist to snap the gun he pulled out of his holster to shoot James. I grabbed the gun and for the second time today, blew his face off. I climbed in to the seat and opened the door to shove the fat cop out.

"Now what? We have stolen a squad car that most likely has a tracking device on it. We killed 2 cops and we are now on the run," I said.

"We are going to dump this car and burn it before they start tracking us. Then we are going to go on foot to my safe house," he responded.

"What a lovely idea."

"Just relax. We will be at the dump point in no time."

But relaxing was definitely something that wasn't going to happen.