Chapter 4

Ch. 4

Cart continued to laugh all the way home before suddenly stopping outside my house. The car rumbled slowly before Cart turned his key and the engine went dead. He turned to me, the laughter in his eyes clear.

"Wow. Haven't laughed like that in a while." He turned to me, he'd actually been laughing so hard he'd started crying. A solitary tear rolled down his cheek which he flicked off with ease.

"No need to be a bitch about it." I was furious with him, my blood boiling with rage and hormones were flying. I was so close to punching him around the face. What gives him the right to judge me?

"No, it's just... my step-brother?" He stared at me, his forehead in a deep questioning crease. All the laughter suddenly drained from his body, his shoulders slightly hunched. "I knew you had a crush on him..." I opened my mouth to protest but he just stared at me, cutting me off before I'd even started speaking. "It was pretty obvious."

I blushed a deep shade of red before feeling absolutely nauseous again. I swear I'm feeling sick all the time now.

Oh wait. I'm pregnant.

Sure, we learned about pregnancy and sex during freshman year, and a few classes during sophomore year but other than experiencing it, no one had a clue what it was, or would be like. One girl in our school got pregnant at the age of 15, but swiftly got an abortion and another senior got pregnant during our freshman year. She graduated and now has a healthy, 2-year-old baby boy called Tobias.

I looked down at my stomach wondering what he or she will look like. Will it have my eyes? Kasey's nose? I smiled slightly, wondering what my baby would look like. Wow. My baby. I said this over and over in my head.

Then it all hit me. My face paled as I began to think about my parents and what they'd think of this. What if I were to be forced by my parents to abort. Would Kasey want me to abort? As I thought about this I began to tear up and Cart pulled me into a tight hug.

"Hey, I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you." He was so caring and he looked so sorry for himself, like he'd been the one to upset me.

"No it's not you it's just thoughts... you know?" I sighed at him as I grabbed a tissue out of the packet in his car door pouch. I feel like that was the wrong thing to say to him, since he knew about everything that has ever happened to me.

"You're not..." He looked at me as to suggest what I was like a few years ago. A few years ago, it was a dark time for me. Freshman year. I shivered at the thought.

"Hell no. I'm getting better. Wait... did the nurse talk about my anti-depressants?" I looked at him questioningly.

"Yeah." He looked at me a worried sweat started developing on his brow line.

"What did she say Cart?" I stared at him getting more anxious by the second. What if the baby is effected by my anti-depressants? Thinking about this made me hate my depression more than I already did.

"Well, she said you can still take them. Just in lower dosages." His voice shook as he spoke as his Adams apple bobbed nervously. Why was he nervous? Was he really scared I'd go off the rails again?

"It'll be fine. I've been wanting a lower dosage for a while now." I shrugged it off like I didn't care. But I really did, I was scared that my mental health was still as weak as it was a few years ago.

A few years ago, at the age of 15, I was diagnosed with severe depression after a suicide attempt that left me feeling emotionless and numb. I'd gotten better, eventually.

It had happened after some nasty rumours about some boys and a party during freshman year. Some bullies had constantly teased me for 6 months over the jobs of my parents. So called 'friends' leaving me. But Belle still stayed, that's the bright side to the dark year. The suicide attempt happened after a drug overdose, luckily my stomach was pumped before any severe damage was done.

Now, at the age of 17, I was still suffering from waves of depression, but it was okay now. My parents had been good, better even, after my attempt. Belle and Cart looked after me during school, constantly hid my scars and stood up for me. They barely ever left my side, and for that I am so extremely grateful.

"If I get bad again, I would tell you." I smiled at him a sad, reassuring smile. In a way, I hoped this smile would reassure me that I could be fine. I will be fine. I am better. Aren't I?

He sighed with a look of resignation that followed. I hugged him tightly for a moment before getting out of the car.

"See you tomorrow." I smiled at him through the frame of the door as he started up the engine.

"If your parents don't take it well, whenever you decide to tell them, you can crash at my place. I'm sure my parents would be chill with you staying. They were teen parents themselves so." He looked at me with such passion that I believed him.

Cart's parents had him when his mother was 18 and his dad was 19, they were still together 17 years later.

"Thanks Cart." A genuine smile crossed my face and his car engine roared to life and his blue car began to trot down the street and took a turn.

Sometime during the walk between the car and the house, I had decided to tell my parents about it. I'd rather it be sooner than later and I hope they understand.

Sorry for the late update. Will be updated soon.

-BethValentine98