19 | Launcher

Wes walked out of the house with Michael's arms around his shoulder. He was alright, a few bruises and the cuts he had weren't deep enough for them to be worried. Jaden arms were around Kay and Caleb. She was still very weak herself, and now that the adrenaline had worn off the pain in her arm was rushing back.

"Let's get home" Wes said smiling finally having Michael back.

They got into the car and started making their way back home. The car ride was close to forty minutes. Kay drove and Caleb took the passenger's seat as Wes, Michael and Jaden sat in the back. They took the easy way to cut out some time, and to do so they had to take the highway.

Michael was wrapped in Wes's arm, his head laying on his chest. They both finally admitted how they felt and couldn't be any happier. Wes gripped Michaels hand and kissed it. Michael looked up at him and gave him a quick peck on his lips. Once they were on the expressway Wes watched out the window at the tall trees that bordered the two roads. The sun was hours away from rising.

"So are you guys finally a thing now?" Kay looked at them in the rearview mirror.

Michael looked up at Wes and they locked eyes. Before they could respond the car started to slow down. It caught Wes's attention and he looked out the front windshield.

"Traffic" Jaden said pointing out the problem

Wes sighed and Michael closed his eyes.

"Hey" Jaden yawned poking at Michael.

"Hi" Michael said clearing his throat still keeping his eyes closed.

The sun was rising and the morning rush hour traffic was piling up. The honking went quite and some people got out of their cars.

"What's going on?" Caleb asked

"I don't know" Kay said looking out her window "Maybe there's an accident"

There was a sharp scream and suddenly a giant crack burst through the air and explosion appeared a few cars ahead of them. They all were suddenly wide awake. Michael's eyes shot open and they rushed out the car. Soon enough everyone in front of them got out and started to run away from their cars. Flames filled the a57a ir and grew giant.

"What the hell!" Kay screamed

Another sharp noise was heard, then a crack and an explosion. A car came flying out of the air. It soared in the sky, no one was in it and It was heading straight towards them. Wes screamed and they all jumped out of the way. The SUV landed and crushed their own car. Landing on top of it.

They got up of the ground and brushed off all of the shattered glass on their clothes. The car was on fire and continued to grow. Everyone was already out of their cars and started to run away from the catastrophe.

They watch as a heavily armored man, dressed in heavy black and red armor stepped out of the flames. He wasn't affected by the flames and didn't seem bothered by them. He carried a rocket launcher in his hands. He pulled off his mask, and stripped off the red armor that was protecting his chest, and weighing him down.

He aimed the launcher at the group. Terrified Wes told everyone to run into the trees. At least there they would be protected, somewhat.

They rushed off into the trees and accidentally split up into two groups. Caleb and Wes. Jaden, Kay and Michael. They ran through the trees and the moist dirt under their feet left their footprints behind.

They ran as fast as they could through the trees and at the corner of Wes eyes he saw another fast moving rocket passing him heading straight for the tree ahead of them. It collided with the center of the trunk and it sent shatters and splinters of wood into the air. Caleb and Wes fell back due to the impact.