Chapter 4- Courtnee

Courtnee

After the final bell rang we headed out to the soccer fields. First day of school is officially over. When we get out to the team house, Clarissa and Lucy were already there. We changed into shorts and sports bras and headed out side.

 “Coach Mell!” I yelled as a saw our training coach standing at the edge of a field. We all ran towards her. She had to go onto Maternity leave in March and we hadn’t really seen her since.

 “My girls!” She hugged us. “I’ve missed you so much!”

 “We’ve missed you like crazy! And I’m pretty sure Coach porter did too! He kind of just stumbled through the spring!”

 “I know, I know but I’m here to stay this year, and I brought you a cheerleader!” She stepped to the side showing a stroller with a still small baby inside.

 “Awe!” We all exclaimed. She was so little, little tuff of brown curls and big blue eyes. We gawked at her for a few minutes as a few more girls showed up. In total there were only eight of us; and we needed eleven to play, not including alternates. There were going to be tryouts at the end of the week, but that was usually just freshman and having nine freshmen on a team is not going to win you the state championships, let alone nationals. But all the P.E. classes play soccer the first week so the coaches can see if there’s any hidden talent. That’s how I got picked my freshman year. Jossi got asked to join freshman year, but didn’t join until sophomore year, and it was just because the surf was bad that week. She was good when she started, but when her dad got was being deployed on recue missions all over the place soccer is how she copped. That’s how we became friends: I moved here just in time for my freshman year because my dad is in the Air Force and had gotten stationed here, Jossi had been the one to comfort me when he got deployed to Iraq since her dad had been in the Marines since he was eighteen so he’s been away for most of her life she knew what it was like. Ever since then we were best friends.

Coach Mell had us running drills all day so when I got home I couldn’t wait to take a shower.

 “Jude, why is there a puppy?” I asked. My little brother was laying on the floor in the living room playing will a little Dalmatian puppy. He looked up at me smiling. We had always wanted a dog, but my dad said it was too much responsibility since he was gone a lot.

 “Well I was looking for an IPod chord in your desk found this in a drawer.” My dad said walking in to the room. He held up my report card from last spring. I had forgotten about that. He was in D.C. when I got it and I guess I forgot to show it to him. “And I said that when you get strait A’s you could get a puppy. And I when I got to the shelter and saw him I remembered how you always loved Dalmatians.” A smile grew on my face. I can’t believe he remembered. I ran to my dad and hugged him.

 “Thank you so much dad!” I said probably a little too loud.

 “You’re welcome. Now go meet your pup!” I jumped out of his arms and laid on the floor meeting the little guy. He was cute with little tiny spots all over. Even his tongue had spots.

 “What’s his name?” I asked scratching his belly as he tried to bit my hand.

“He doesn’t have one yet.” My brother said playfully grabbing the pup’s ears. “What about Oreo?” I scrunched my nose.

 “What about Pongo?” My dad said squatting down next to us. I picked up the puppy and looked at him.

 “Pongo? Is that your name little guy?” I asked him. His ears poked up and he barked once and licked my nose. “Pongo it is.”