11

The sun peeked in the bedroom window, lighting her hair like a fiery halo. She lifted her head from the soft pillow covered with a delicate fabric.

It's been a while since she ever woke up in such peace. A few minutes later, she opened her eyes to see the green out of the window. She should get up. She should want to get up. Her eyes closed.

Reaching for her cellphone as she groped onto the side table, her hands fell into the air.

There wasn't a side table.

It was when she opened her eyes and astounded to see where she was. Not in her old room that's for sure.

She tried to remember what happened but it seemed there was a black wall in her mind from thinking back.

"Good morning, sweetheart. You're finally awake," a soft sweet voice came from the door.

Aeri sat up straight and leaned herself on the bed against the wall.

Who is this woman? Her little heart spoke. She kept it to herself, ready to attack even when there's a slight danger.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to harm you, sweety. Make yourself at home. Breakfast is ready, you can find yourself the kitchen downstairs." The middle-aged lady went out, picking up a laundry basket.

What? She looked at herself, wearing clothes that wasn't definitely hers or even her style. Would anyone explain what happened? She asked herself.

She carried herself across the dimly lit hall towards the living room. Kitchen, she thought. Hungry.

Then it hits her.

Nose twitching, brain sniffing, she caught faint fumes of hot pancakes up from the kitchen. It smelled like her mother's cooking breakfast. Could it be?

"Mom?" She leaned the side of her body to the door frame. In point of fact, she was still half asleep. Or her mind was still exhausted from what she had been through.

"Yes, dear. You can sit at the table I've already prepared for you," the lady replied as if she didn't really mind what Aeri had called her.

What did I just called her? Aeri went back to her senses. She quickly bowed to apologise for what she had said earlier.

"There's no need to be sorry, honey. Besides, I haven't been called 'mom' for quite a while. Now do sit,"

Hesitated, she slowly sat at the table alone and tried to enjoy her breakfast. It tasted wonderful, she could've asked for more but her curiosity hinder her appetite.

"Can you tell me where I am?" Her voice was shaking while still doubting the lady's kindness.

She took a seat in front of her while having a slice of pancake.

"I'm not really sure which area you are referring to sweetheart, but now you're safe in this house, where I'm living. My husband and I found you on our doorstep. I almost thought you were dead, sorry about that but you looked extremely pale," she explained in a polite manner.

"I really need to find a way out from Geojedo," she murmured.

"Honey, Geojedo is way far ahead."

"What do you mean? Isn't this Geojedo?"

"This is Imjado. Quite rural but it's not really that unsophisticated."

Imjado.

So Mrs. Choi lied? Why would she? So she really left them stranded? Does Seungcheol knew about this too? So many questions were playing inside her head.

She knew it. At that very moment, Mrs. Choi only came for wealth and get rid of them both. She pushed away her dish slowly and went out.

"Is there anything you want to share sweetheart? It's alright, you can take your time," the lady spoke as she approached to the living room where Aeri was.

"My brother... He's missing." She slowly started to tell the lady.

The lady sat beside her with open ears. She was too, curious about the girl who suddenly appeared in front of her house. But she knew the look from her face, she must've had a hard time. She might be affronted by the questions she might ask.

"I lived with my aunt after my parents died in a train accident. It's hard to tell who has your back, from who has it long enough just to stab you in it," her voice brittle.

"There, there. It's alright. We're here for you. I believe your brother is going to be just fine, wherever he is now," she hugged Aeri and rubbed gently on her back.

Aeri sat back up straight wiping her endless tears.

"I'm sorry. What's your name again?"

"I'm Mrs. Kim. I don't mind you calling me 'mom' again," she snickered.

Soon, there was a man who was probably her husband came into the room. He took of his boots and placed a axe inside a small wooden box.

"And that's Mr. Kim. You wouldn't mind to be called dad too, don't you?" She teased her husband. Aeri just chuckled to see this couple.

"I'm never too old for that, silly" he came towards them and welcomed Aeri with a warm smile.

"And who are you sweet young lady?"

"I'm Lee Aeri."

TWO MONTHS LATER

"Aeri! Could you get the wodden basket in the room at that corner?" Mrs. Kim cried from the kitchen.

"Alright!"

Aeri felt so brand new. Of course she lived in luxury and almost had everything and laze around all day at home let the maids do everything, but she missed being in a happy family. She was grateful to be given a second chance.

It didnt really mind her to do the housework or cooking dinner. For now, she needs to be happy. She has to gain her spirit and mend her almost dying soul.

Mr. and Mrs. Kim treated her well as if she was really their born child. She didn't even feel adopted. She felt, belonged.

Unhesitatingly, she opened the door widely and tried to spot for the wooden basket.

Bad idea.

Her eyes widen and her jaws dropped.

She found herself seeing a shirtless young man and to be worse, he clearly noticed her entire presence.

"OMG I-I'm so sorry I-"

"It's alright," he smirked and put on his shirt quickly. "You want to come in?"

"Uh.. Uhm no.. I mean yes. Basket!" She was embarrassed yet nervous at the same time.

Avoiding an eye contact with him, she went for the basket and went out to the door.

"Hey," Aeri suddenly paused hearing his husky voice.

"You dropped something,"

She swiftly spun around and looked to the ground as searching what she dropped.

Nothing.

"Got you, haha. I'm Mingyu. You're pretty. Wanna be friends?" he introduced himself as he smug, winning the chance to capture her attention.

This prick, Aeri cursed inside, holding on to her anger.