Blow By Blow

The cereal was on fire, and for once I wasn't the one responsible. Not saying I normally go around lighting innocent cereal on fire, I'm not a cereal killer. Instead its my brothers fault, he's high again. One of his amazing ideas to eat flaming cereal which he found out is not exactly possible. So when he  came racing into my fifteen year old room, still filled with posters of tween heart throbs at the time, jumping on me, and snuggling into my side while whimpering like a child I wasn't surprised. Jaxon is eighteen, do you see when I'm going with this?

     When I got downstairs I wasn't surprised to see flames licking the sides of our sink (thank God it was stainless steel).

     "Jaxon what were you thinking!" I scolded my older brother whilst I turned on the water drowning out the flames almost instantly. It hissed and a dark cloud of smoke lifted reminding me of sulfur before it dissipated into the clean air.

     "I don't know, I wanted cereal but I was cold." Jaxon shrugs as if it made perfect sense, and to him it probably did. I shake my head debating on smacking him or giving him a blanket and some hot chocolate. To say I loved my brother was an understatement, I've adored him since I could say his name. No matter what we had each others backs, which made it that much harder when I found out he died.

     For the longest time I was angry at my parents, they should have known he was on drugs, not thinking straight. it was only two years ago.

                                                          ***************

    Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick. Silence, except for the clock. Not a soul has moved, not even the one that crashed into Jaden, the worst senior to make angry. The kid's on the wrestling team, and built like a gorilla. A gorilla currently covered in noodles and spaghetti sauce.

     The kid responsible for the silence is almost the exact opposite of Jaeden. He's tall and lengthy, with dark shaggy hair opposed to Jaden's crew cut blond. The kid's hoodie and dark jeans are covered in sauce. Suddenly the kid starts laughing. Jaden's knuckles are white from being clenched and his eyes scream 'murder'. Yet instead of mauling the kid he chuckles lowly, like a warning. Unfortunately the kid thinks he's off the hook. He claps Jaden on the shoulder with a large grin, and Jaden promptly punches him.

     As I watch, the kid staggers and his hand fly's up to his face a few seconds to late to block it. A low groan from him fills the air and Jaden looks ready to deliver another blow. unfortunately the doors next to me fly open (I tried not to jump) as 'The Vice' walks in, followed by her favorite student Mike. 'The Vice' grabs the kids arm and starts leading him out as she yells for Jaden to follow. I shrink back in my chair and try to remain unnoticed. Jaden glances at me and shrugs with a 'what can you do' look. instead of smiling I shake my head and he chuckles under his breath. I've known him since I moved into his neighborhood during 8th grade. We say hello every once in a while and I help him with school work when he's struggling. But other than that we don't talk.

      Once their gone 'The Vice' walks back in her heels clanking against the cheap linoleum floor. she passes my table as a hush settles over the crowd. 'The Vice' as we have nicknamed her, is the meanest adult in this school. she keeps a set of rules in her pocket at all times and isn't afraid to in force them. nobody gets away from here, chewing gum, gossiping, even something as innocent as forgetting a hall pass when you have to use the bathroom. Even teacher pets get in trouble when she catches them. Once she passes I pick up my bag and watch her weave through tables. A few kids start talking followed by a couple more and soon enough you can't tell I've slipped out.

     It's my thing, staying in the background. Ever since my freak out, kids have been more than willing to let me slip by afraid I might blow up again. I've gotten so quiet even I forget what I sound like at times. Though nobody's in the empty halls I keep my eyes trained on my cheap sneakers as they go, heel toe, heel toe, down the hall. It's nice to have the hall to myself after lunch, like the quiet before the storm of students.