INTERLUDE

I hope whoever created that stupid Marimba ringtone is going to get hit by a mallet one day. Groaning, I rub my eyes and turn over in bed, waiting for my eyes to focus. My hand feels around for the phone on my bedside table and click it on, squinting as the bright light attacks my eyes.

2:36 A.M.

Never mind. I was too harsh to the inventor of Marimba—whoever texted me at two in the morning is going to get pelted with mallets like they're the last person standing in dodgeball. I angrily swipe through my phone to see who my victim will be.

I should've known.

Levi: hey
Levi: it's levi

Someone needs to enlighten him on the creation of contacts.

Levi: when's a good time for the lesson?

I just want to leave this for the morning, but now that I'm already up I might as well just reply.

Ember: anytime between 3-5:30 or after seven on weekdays except for Friday. anytime saturday & sunday.

I wait, eyes heavy, for his response. It arrives, along with a quiet swoosh a few seconds after.

Levi: you're up?

Ember: i am now

Levi: fuck sorry you should turn your phone on silent

Ember: i cant hear my alarm if it's on silent

Levi: sorry
Levi: just trying to help

Ember: why are you up?

Levi: im not a grandma like you

I'm not in the mood to deal with this right now. I'm just about to switch off my phone when another messages swooshes in.

Levi: tough audience tonight

He pauses.

Levi: just bad dreams

I start typing. Ember: I know what you mea

Levi: dont tell anyone that

I backspace, erasing everything I've written and pause. Do I pry? Does he want me to ask? Fortunately or not, Levi doesn't give me an option.

Levi: anyways you really can't do friday?

Ember: sorry really cant

Levi: hot date?
Levi: someone u cant ditch for me? ive got soccer and work every other day

Ember: cant. tutoring

Levi: who?

Ember: harley

Levi: ill ask him to reschedule

Ember: he needs to pass english more than i need to learn the bass, its fine.

Levi: alright could you do thursday 7:15? meet at savour?

Savour? What does a classy restaurant have to do with teaching me the bass? Whatever the reason, I guess I'll take it.

Ember: sure as long as i dont have lots of hmoework
Ember: homeowkr*
Ember: homework**

Levi: wow you're the english tutor?

Yeah, I really don't have time for this. Plus, I don't know if I can fend off my drooping eyelids any longer.

Ember: goodnight

I click my phone off and set it on my nightstand. Once I shut my eyes, I'm out so quickly I don't even hear the marimba that signals his reply.

Levi: night flames

***

Just thought I'd tease you with this very short snippet of what I've been writing. I still love Ember and Levi, don't think I've given up on them yet.

Thank you for sticking with Match Me.

Rachel