Chapter Thirteen: My Brother Joins A Cult

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: My Brother Joins A Cult

"Isaac, you're fifteen. Isn't that too early to become addicted to caffeine? Most people wait until they're at least in college."

Isaac's leg bounces, restless, as he stares out the window. "Could be worse. Could be heroin."

I snort and flick the turn signal on, "Like you have the connections to get heroin."

Isaac raises his eyebrows, "You don't?"

I ignore his comment, mostly because I don't have a good comeback.

As I pull into the parking lot, I spot a familiar black truck obnoxiously taking up more spaces than need be.

Just when Levi was starting to get into my good books.

"I can just go in by myself and you can just get to school, if you want," Isaac says, his door already wide open.

I glance at the time on the dashboard. It's only 7:30. School starts at 8:30. "No, it's okay. I could use a cup of hot chocolate to get my chocolate fix," I reply, shrugging as I grab my wallet from the cup holder.

Isaac waves me off, "I'll get it for you. You can stay in the car and listen to your T-swizzle or whatever."

Something's definitely up. Isaac never offers to do anything nice, nonetheless fetch me hot chocolate and let me listen to Taylor Swift in the car.

"I've got legs. I can get my own drink, it's fine." I say, hopping out of the car myself.

Isaac bites his lip and begins to scratch at his arms, a nervous tic of his, but doesn't say anything.

I wait for his reply, but when it doesn't come I settle for pushing on the glass door of the café. He stops me.

"Ember don't come in," Isaac says, gently taking my hand off the handle of the door.

I stare at him for a minute, but there's only panic in his soft brown eyes, mirroring Levi's expression from the graveyard. "Why not?" I ask.

Isaac shakes his head, biting his lip, "You don't want to come in. Please, Ember..."

"What are you doing? You didn't join a cult, did you?" I joke, trying to make light of things while hiding my suspicion. I can't help but think of Robert, the poor guy who used to do Isaac's homework for him.

"Just please don't," Isaac pleads, his big brown eyes owl-wide.

"Did you at least name your cult something decent?"

"It's called The Homework Help Club, if you really needed to know," Isaac says, looking down at his feet.

Oh.

He ruffles his blond hair with a hand and lets out a long sigh.

I don't seek out his eyes. I knew he was having trouble with his schoolwork since he was making Robert do it, but I didn't ask him about it. The only thing I did was give him shit for it. I mean, the shit-giving was for a good reason, but I should have looked at the reason behind it instead of just punishing him. No wonder he didn't ask me for help.

Stupid Ember!

I contemplate putting a hand on his shoulder, but decide against it. Isaac already feels like crap, no need to think I pity him. "You don't want me to... y'know, maybe hel-"

"No!" Isaac blurts, his head snapping up to look me dead in the eyes, "Uh, I mean, no thanks. I'm fine. Really. I'm great." His face blushes an even deeper red, so it's probably best to leave him alone now.