Muscley

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of Seth's alarm clock going off.

I sat up and stretched, looking up at him. He was still asleep.

I turned the alarm clock off then sat on the ground next to the bed.

"Seth," I said, "you have to get up." Nothing.

"Seth," I persisted. His chest rose and fell steadily, telling me he was still asleep. I tapped his arm. He didn't wake up.

"Seth, come on," I said, hitting his arm harder. He opened his eyes, looking up at me.

"Why are you hitting me?" He laughed, looking at my hand on his bicep. Which was really hard. Muscley.

I withdrew my hand, as much as I wanted to leave it there. "Sorry. You didn't wake up at your alarm clock."

He glanced at the alarm clock. "Oops. Guess I was tired from yesterday, eh?" He laughed.

"Yeah," I smiled. His laugh made me smile.

This is torture.

"Well, guess I've got to get ready," he said, sitting up then standing. He walked over to his closet, taking out a red t-shirt and putting it on.

He didn't look very good in red. I wasn't about to say anything though.

He took a pair of jeans out of his drawer, then walked to the bathroom to change.

I stood up and walked over to the dresser, opening the drawer with my clothes in it. I took out a pair of black jeans and a white t-shirt before walking over to the door and closing it. I didn't bother to lock it.

Maybe I should've.

I quickly slipped my pajama pants and shirt off, pulling my jeans on. Before I could even button them, Seth walked in.

I almost fell back from shock, hurriedly zipping and buttoning my jeans. I didn't think he'd be back so fast.

"Oh, sorry," he stuttered, his face flushing red.

I pulled my shirt on, my face flushing red as well. "I didn't think you'd be back so fast."

"Why didn't you lock the door?"

"Slipped my mind," I lied.

"Ah," he trailed off, glancing at the clock. "I've got to go, I'm gonna miss the bus."

"What do you take the bus for? Haven't you got a car?"

"Don't you know all the cool kids ride the bus?" he grinned.

"No," I said, cocking my head. "I've never ridden the bus."

"Well, I do. Plus, I don't have to buy more gas than I have to," he laughed. He walked over to the corner, picking up a bookbag and slinging it over his shoulder. "My mom's downstairs."

"Where does she work?" I asked, realizing that I didn't know.

"Hospital kitchen," Seth said, walking toward the door. I followed behind him.

"Is it close to the school?'

"Here, take this," he said, taking his phone out of his pocket and handing it to me. "You can use it to keep time and find the school," he explained. "The school isn't far. My football practice starts at 2:30 on the field outside."

"Okay," I nodded, pocketing the phone. I followed him down the stairs and out to the kitchen, where Jess was sitting.

"Hey guys," she greeted. "Ready to go, Riley?"

"Yeah," I said, looking at Seth. "Have fun at school."

"Have fun sitting in the cafeteria all day," he joked. "Oh I forgot, the phone has a passcode on it," he said, walking over to me. "5539," he said near my ear.

"Right," I nodded, trying not to grin.

"Gotta go," he said, looking at the clock before walking to the door. "Bye," he called as I heard the door open and close.

"Off to work we go then," Jess said, standing up from the table where she was sitting. She walked out to the front room and I followed her. I slipped on my pair of tennis shoes that I'd left on the mat by the front door, and she put on a pair of black crocs. We walked out the front door and to her car, getting in and driving off to Jess's work.