Chapter two

I woke up this morning at 7am to get ready for school.  I brushed my hair, pulled it back into a high ponytail and wrapped a ribbon around it.  Then I found my uniform and put it on.

It was a nice uniform.  An ankle length navy skirt of a light, floaty material.  The top was a pretty white blouse that showed of my small breasts perfectly.  The best part was the shoes.  Black heels.  We have to wear a pair to heels.  I have a pair that are mid-height, not tall nor small.

After I was dressed, I walked down stairs to the kitchen to get myself some breakfast.  After 5 or 10 minutes of searching, I found a bowl, spoon, Weetbix and milk.  I ate my breakfast and put everything away.  Then I walked back into the hall where I’d put my school bag after I’d packed it yesterday.

I checked my watch, and it was 7:50.  We had 10 minutes left until the bus came, and I still hadn’t seen anyone yet.

“Arthur!  Rachel!  Hurry up, the bus is almost here!”  Perhaps now they’ll hurry up.  Yep, here comes Rachel, clattering down the stairs in her uniform.  It was the first time I’d got a good look at it.  She had a white shirt, navy skirt and black shoes like me, but her shirt was more of a t-shirt style, her skirt was knee-length and stiff with tiny pleats, and her shoes were flat, clunky leather things.

“You ready yet?”  I asked

“Yep, you?” she replied.

“Of course.  I was born ready,” I answered, with an arrogant flick of my head.

“No you weren’t.   No one except for me was.”  Arthur called out from the top of the stairs.

“Then why was I down here before you?” I called back.  There was a lot of this sort of friendly banter between us.  Mum called it arguing, but we found it fun.

“I was setting up my computer.  You know Mum and Dad are both hopeless.”  He sounded triumphant, but I knew he hadn’t had breakfast.

“What about breakfast?”  I asked slyly.

“I wasn’t hungry before, but I am now, so I’m going to grab some toast.”

“You?  Not hungry?  Yeah right.  You’re always hungry.  You just weren’t ready yet.  And you can’t have toast, there’s no time.  The nus will be here in… 2 minutes.  We should go wait outside for it.  Don’t want to miss it on the first day.”

“Aww, come on.  I have time.” He whined.

“No, we have to go.  Come on Rachel.”  I picked up my bag, grabbed Rachel’s hand nad started to walk out the door.

“Oh, ok.  Just stop mothering me, alright.  I am older than you.”

“Only one year older.  And I’m the more mature of us, so I get to mother you.  Now, do you need me to hold your hand, or will you come by yourself?” I threatened him.  Threatening him with displays of mothering or affection always worked.

“No, that’s alright.  I’ll come by myself,” he sounded slightly panicked.  I was right.

We went outside just in time to see the bus turn the corner onto the road.  Arthur stood away from Rachel and I, already distancing himself from us.  However, it didn’t work too well, because Rachel and I got on the bus first and went to the back.  Not wanting to sit anywhere near us, Arthur, looking like a nerd, sat at the front.

Rachel and I watched the landscape go past as the bus filled.  I’d started to drift off when I heard an arrogant, male voice.

“Move, little girl.”  Rachel and I looked up to see a guy who was, quite frankly, hot.  And he obviously knows it, too.