The Awakening

I don't know where it all began. I always somehow knew that I would fall in love with someone, or something, crazy. Little did I know that life had changes in store for me that I could've never dreamt of. I mean, who could've ever expected me, a small town rural gal from Appalachia would ever fall for someone other than my uncle? 

     Growing up on a farm, all I ever knew was harvesting corn and feeding pigs. I had no knowledge of big city life or any social customs other than the ones I had grown up with. You know what they say though, innocent small town girls always fall in love the hardest.

     One day while bathing in the nearby creek, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. In my peripheral vision, it was a white glob. Upon further examination it was a bundle of mushrooms commonly found throughout the region. Knowing that these fungus where not toxic and in no way a bother to me, I went back to bathing. But something stuck out to me in my head. Perhaps it was the arrangement of two button mushrooms to the left and right of a large slender stalk. As I pictured the mushrooms again in  my thoughts something in me felt different. Not the usual different. But a deep different, and although submerged in water, a wet different. This very moment was the distinct turning point I now attribute to my love for studying all fungi.