Peter and Wendy

My Peter Pan asked me once, if I were to jump down off of the ship, would I be afraid of the crocodile?

I told her that no, I am  fearless. And that my pretty blue dress might be soiled should I fight  with captain hook, so she told me that she would do it for me. I need  only to run away to be safe.

So I bolted across the  room full of toys, and wrapped myself in her rose paternend shawl while  she fought off the crocodiles and the pirates. Standing back, I could see  her black eyes and her green ones; in between where we lived and  neverland.

Peter Pan played with  needles. She was a child in a sixty two year old woman's body, and  needles were all that kept her alive. Buzzed and afraid of her own twisted mind, she sometimes forgot that we were both children, and left  needles on the floor for my brother and me to find.

She didn't consider herself a human; just a lost thing in the woods. She would draw  paintings in oil on canvases older than I am, of the dust being lit by  the sun through cracks in the canopy of her forest.

She was my peter, and I was her wendy. destined to grow up someday myself, my peter chose to  stay young instead. So preserved by the needles and lightning and pills, that her very own insides became less than mine. Made of water and  sadness, my peter washed away in mermaid lagoon.

Together we rafted down a  river of her blood turned water, and we laughed together at the irony.  Both too young to see that blood should not look like water.

They told me that peter was not coming back from the hospital. That she stayed too long in  Neverland, and just couldn't make it home anymore.

When I was older they told me how they found her on the floor of a hotel room in California,  frothing at the mouth with her own fear. Finally having downed enough unsupervised pills in a place no one could hear her call

"Wendy!"

They called her selfish and attention seeking, Possessed and mentally upset.
It was true.

But I always felt safe while we were in Neverland. she took the map and the fairy dust insulin pen to get there with her when she left, so I never had the chance to go  back.

Until the day Captain Hook found me too, and took my hand.

He thought it'd be good to visit Neverland.