Onyx Patchwork Quilts

I have taken all the screens out my windows. In my dimly lit bedroom, there is a square of onyx instead. A breeze that makes my throat sting instead of the dusty mesh.

I hate windows, but I think they're different when the screens are out.

I hate windows because you can see through them, but jumping out would hurt my ears.

I hate windows, because when I stand at attention, watching the stars, I may not leave.

I am not allowed to leave until something fantastic has happened to the sky.

I hate windows, because sometimes the lines in the middle obscure my view. Sometimes they get too close to me, breathing down my shirt for me to look away. Whispering at the edges of the nape of my neck to move them, just an inch to the left.

I hate windows, they aren't very kind to shadow people.

Shadows are far smarter than anybody gives them credit for, you know. They watch us, all the time. they dont have minds maybe; but definitely souls.

Windows have a habit of distorting shadows.

One thing i dont mind, however

would have to be holes.

Windows without screens aren't windows. Screens are too in between, letting the air in but not letting me see, catching the dirt but not giving it back. a brown, empty mass, that is full of plastic.

But just a hole in the side of a house makes the house a windbreak, not a bunker. Makes a home a place inside of the world, not a world on the front porch of the outside.

I like the ocean, because it isn't the outside

It's the rest of the world.