Chapter 44

The horses jumped forward at the same time as all around us people began screaming and running. Ben leaned forward and tired to slow Khair down, but nothing seemed to be working. I just held on tightly as people passed in ill defined coloured blurs. We didn't seem to be going on any particular course apart from on the shortest, straightest root to away. I was all for that.

I closed my eyes for a moment, but quickly decided that was worse. People scattered before us as policemen shouted warnings. Then we burst out of the park and were on the road which was, somehow, thankfully, clear. Then we were passing Wellington Arch, then there was another road. Then Constitution Hill provided a perfect sprinting straight. Then we were on pedestrianised part The Mall and Ben turned us into the open gates of BuckinghamPalace. Someone threw open the gates to the huge courtyard and finally, finally, we stopped.

I realised my phone was ringing.

With surprisingly steady fingers I pulled it from my pocket and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Grace?" Mum asked frantically. "Grace, are you ok?"

"Yeah," I said brightly. "Fine. Ben, James and I are fine."

"Really? You're ok?" Dad asked.

"Yeah. We weren't anywhere near the explosion. We just got back to Buckingham. We're ok."

Dad burst into tears.

"We've got to sort the horses out. I'll call you later." I hung up not able to bare hearing him cry right now.

I got of the horse and saw Maria come out of a door. She sagged in relief. Not sure what I was supposed to be doing I walked over to her. I felt weird. Too light after what had happened.

"Are you ok?" I asked her. "Is everyone ok?"

She nodded. "Yes, we were out of there before you two were. You?"

I nodded and drifted inside. "Fine."

"Grace?" Johnny asked and rushed over to me. He put his hands on my shoulders.

"Ben's fine."

More relief passed through his eyes. "How are you?"

"Fine."

I burst into tears. He pulled me into a tight hug and carded a hand through my hair.

"There was an explosion and –"

"Shhhh. It's ok. You're ok."

" – I swear I felt it," I whispered and squeezed my eyes closed.

But then I heard the explosion again and felt it rumble underfoot. I heard the screaming and the blaring of car horns. The thunder of terrified horse hoofs. The frantic drumming of my heart.

I gasped, jumped back from Johnny and spun around because of some irrational fear.

"Grace," Johnny said. He put a hand on my shoulder.

I screamed, jerked away from him and spun around, eyes wide and hair in my face. He held his hands out, palm forwards like I was a cornered feral animal he was trying to calm.

"Grace, it's ok."

"But it's not is it?" I asked, my voice low but harsh. "We got lucky. What if people died?"

"People did die. Lots of people. But we're ok. In this moment that's what matters and is all I care about."

"How many?" I whispered.