Chapter 34

I barely listened to Master Clarke telling everyone the news at dinner. I didn't even really register the tears that his friends shed. I was so worried about not being able to play the Last Post without tears I'd refused to let myself cry before then. I knew that Jessica, Tony and David were filming everything, but I ignored them.

When I was in classes the next morning I passed through the motions feeling horribly empty inside. Then I was in my formal uniform – the floor length skirt, the jacket that did up and the ruffled collar and smart blouse. I had Master MacLachlan's bugle in hand and I was stood to the side of the esplanade, the rest of the school stood in front of me a wave of black apart from the Collagers who had white smocks over their uniform to tell them apart.

Nigel's grandparents, a few aunts and uncles and cousins were sat in front of them, were the only people allowed to sit through this. Ben's uncle Jonathon was here as well, thankfully sober. There were also a few people from the army in dress uniform. They'd already had a memorial for their fallen comrade so none of them were playing the Last Post with me.

Ben was stood alongside the headmaster and our house master at the front of the esplanade where there was a lectern with a microphone set up. The headmaster spoke about how it was a tragic day when the school lost a student, current or past and how on that day we'd lost one of each. He told us about what Mr. Basset was like as a literature student in his class, told us that Nigel was a shining example of the phrase 'following in his father's footsteps'. Master Clarke stepped up to the lectern next, his face grief stricken.

He looked out to everyone for a few moments. The last people he looked to were his house, especially Nigel's friends. He took a deep breath and began speaking. "Nigel Basset was a shining example of a new student. He was always on time to lessons, always got his EW done and always, always helped his friend with theirs. There was forever a smile on his face, a sparkle in his eye and a spring in his step. Having him in my house was a joy and a privilege. He was friends with everyone in the house and I am sure I am speaking for us all when I say that there will always be a hole in our family and that he will be sorely missed.

"But Nigel was more than just a member of Walpole House. He was an enthusiastic rugby player, was progressing well in swimming and in the Cadets. I know that he tackled every problem with gusto, strength and determination. From the moment I met him I knew for sure that he'd one day make an outstanding member of society and a fine gentleman.

"He will be sorely missed and forever treasured in the hearts of everyone who had the privilege to know him."

He stepped away from the lectern and the headmaster took his place. "Thank you, Master Clarke. Now I'd like to invite one of our own students to make a speech. From Walpole house and friend of Nigel, and speaking on behalf of His Majesty the King, His Royal Highness Prince Benjamin of Wales."

There was no applause, no cheering. We all knew he studied here and now was so not the time for exuberant shows of excitement. We all just stood there, silently and waited for him to unfold the speech he had. Then he looked out to all of us making sure to connect with the eyes of all of Nigel's family.

"Basset family, Nigel's friends, Commander in Chief of the British Royal Army, distinguished guests, staff of Eton College and fellow students," he began, his voice clear and somehow steady. "I stand before you today, not a prince or member of the royal family, but a grieving friend of one of our own. I only came to know Nigel in the last month before the Christmas holidays, but I can honestly say it was a pleasure knowing him. He was and intelligent, quick minded and diligent student. As a friend he was always full of energy, exuberant, sometimes a little too persistent which verged into the amusingly annoying." Here Nigel's family and his closest friends chuckled all of us knowing exactly what he meant. "Nigel was also one of the most caring people I ever met and he will be missed by all who knew him for the rest of our lives.