Trigger To My Soul (Prologue Of Sorts)

A/N: This story was originally posted on AO3 by me, DraconaMalp. It was also originally a series of one-shots and is not completed yet as of April 1, 2016. The version posted here is edited and revised. Enjoy.

It was an ungodly hour when it happened. The summer sky was covered in a thick blanket of stars, not to be removed for at least 3 more hours. The night was peaceful here, nothing but the occasional animal or night walker moved.

Meanwhile, in Oregon a usually sleepy town was flaring with light. Very few people witnessed it in person. A girl, a boy, an old man, and the demonic entity that had caused it. A scream tore through the walls of reality that day. Although the world didn't end as predicted, it changed.

Select people felt the pulse. Specifically, people who had brushed other worlds. Whether if it be through death, or any other means. They felt it. The little boom of magic. Wirt's eyes opened and he gasped. He felt his brother do it too. He felt his mom's and stepdad's pulse in the other room. He heard the screaming and covered his ears, clenching his eyes shut.

Just as it came, all at once, the pulse was gone. He could feel the tingles in the air. His eyes opened wide and he seen. He seen. All around Wirt's bed, his room the Edelwood grew untamed. He hugged his legs and backed as close to the far edge of his bed as possible.

He seen a flurry of- he got a headache just by seeing it. He didn't know what it was or how to describe it. Was... was that a color?

It was yellow... but not? He gripped his hair and closed his eyes. There was another one behind those. Purple- no, blue?

He didn't notice the screaming end in his panic. The smell of something burnt flooded his nose and he flinched, it only becoming stronger. Farther from his vision (the edelwood?) there was a fierce color crackling and bubbling. It tasted like buzzing.

He gathered his breath when there was a frantic knock on the door. The edelwood shrunk back and the... it's colors diminished.

The burnt smell stayed.

He spent a moment to catch his breath. The moment was too long. There was more knocking on the door. "Wirt?" Greg called. He was... Wirt dragged his tongue under his teeth and over his lips. Some type of yellow? "Wirt!" The knocks only beat faster.

It didn't really register. All he could do was think on what was happening. No- the colors. What colors were happening? He blinks and it's bright. It was dark before, right? He blinks a few more times, but there's a new one. It smells of rich chocolate and looked flurrious. He felt his mouth almost water at this one.

The burnt was now distant. It was still there, but covered in a bright-dark (red?). He walked towards the- the... the flurl. He ran into a flat surface what was this? The door. It was brown. Plain. Wirt scrunched his nose at it.

He located the handle. He seen it he just... couldn't see it. Opening the door was another challenge.

Once he did he took a huge whiff of the air. Flurl. It was close, he could nearly taste it. He tripped over a body and with a yelp (and a flash of yet another indescribable color) the teen fell onto the floor.

The flurl faded and popped into a white (maybe it was a different yellow?), an orange (Wirt thought it felt bitter) and a happy, almost tangy color.

"Wirt!" Greg hugged his brother tightly. "Something happened! Now mum is blurpleh and dad is burnt pancakes!"

Wirt scanned his brother. "Excited." He said monotonously. "Hope. Happiness. "