Sunsets

I can't even begin to describe how excited I am for this. I've been getting into The Outsiders recently, as my English teacher has been reading it with us. I've already seen the movie beforehand, but now I'm on my second time. I was racking my brain for something new and different for our favorite volleyball nerds, then when I randomly got a mental image of Kageyama Tobio in 60s clothing with a cigarette in his mouth, this idea bloomed!

Now, I'm not taking the entire Outsiders plot. I'm only using the concept and style as an AU for Haikyuu. I want to be as original as I can with this, but I'm still adding in some lines and references from The Outsiders. If you haven't read the book or seen the movie, I really recommend it! It's not necessarily required to understand this story, as this is basically just a 50s and 60s setting, but I would watch it if you think it would help. 'Cos it probably would. It's incredible, nonetheless. :)

Here are some key terms that would help (I'll add more within each chapter, as the story progresses) -

Greaser - A greaser is typically a Northern American (in this case, Japanese) teenager who sports leather jackets, greasy slicked hair, rides motorcycles, curses, or even smokes. In The Outsiders, the greasers are known as the "outcasts" who are poor, aren't as popular as most, or have hard home lives - they go against society's rules, and are more rebellious and intimidating. Women can also be greasers, and most greasers are in different gangs.

Soc - In The Outsiders, a soc (so-sh) - pretty much short for social - is the opposite of a greaser, basically. The Socs have the nice clothing, the most money, are more well-liked, and don't have it as tough as the greasers do. The Socs are the ones on top, who like to pick on the greasers and start fights with them. Both social groups often get into fights.

Rumble - A rumble is another 50s-60s term for fight.

Dig - To dig is to understand, or to like something.

Fuzz - The fuzz is the police.

Cancer stick - A cigarette.

Like I said, I'll add more, but those are the ones that pop up most. The chapters will grow longer as the story goes on. Hope that helped, and please enjoy seeing all of your favorite dorks riding motorcycles and cursing. :')

           My rickety blue bicycle seemed to do me little to no good, as it bounced and popped against the gravel beneath me. The swaying breeze in my messy orange hair should've been enough to calm me down, but I just couldn't afford to get distracted at a bad time like this! I peered over my shoulder, wincing as said breeze blew in my eyes momentarily. There he was, Oikawa Tooru. The meanest, snobbiest, and absolute douchiest soc of em all. He really did make me angry to no end, and my eyesight caught that annoying smirk of his as he swerved right past me all too quickly - in attempt to make it look as if he were about to hit me right then and there.

            I let out a squeal as my bicycle went off track, and I heard loud cackles and irritating laughter coming from Oikawa's souped-up mustang convertible. As I struggled to peddle past, he slowed his car down right next to me, pulling down his black shades under his eyes so he could look at me directly. That smirk was still there. Boy, how I wanted to punch it right off of him!

           "Fancy meeting you here, greaser," He spat, and I pushed myself as hard as I could to keep on peddling my bicycle up the dirty sidewalk. "Or should I say, shrimp." All of his buddies chorused in laughter, except for the guy sitting in the passenger seat. Iwaizumi Hajime. He merely glared at me, sending me some daring look that made my skin crawl. My annoyance ultimately morphed into anger at that point, and I gritted my teeth together before coming to a sharp halt. I nudged the kickstand with my sneaker, before settling my foot down hard in the dirt.