Chapter 5

It has been eight new moons since the areito for Guarionex and Ine'es and two new moons since our first encounter with the arijua. Our scout, Bayamo saw them first as they approached the beach in their giant gulls, which were large canoas capable of holding many men. Guarionex called out the entire yucayeke, to gather baskets with food, drink, and gifts as is our custom to bring to these travelers.

I was curious to see these men who had heard traveled a great distance. Their skin was pale and colorless, and hair grew long from their faces. They wore many pieces of cloth, which covered their entire bodies and carried with them heavy macanas of shiny metal. A Taíno they called Diego accompanied them. Diego was guaxeri, a countryman from Guanahani. He spoke our tongue, and he also spoke the strange tongue of the arijua. Diego told Guarionex that the arijua came in peace, so Guarionex invited them to eat with us.

That evening the entire yucayeke gathered in the batéy, our ceremonial field where we feasted on arepas, batatas, and barbicu'. We shared our drink of anaiboa and danced an ara'guaca to Atabey, our cemi, our Mother Earth in thanks for our peaceful encounter with the arijua.

But now we know that the arijua are truly ari'. They have made demands of Guarionex and have threatened our people. They want our caona. They want the shiny metal we use to make the cuey, our totems to Yúcahu. Tomorrow Guarionex will gather with his ni-taíno warriors and try once more to reason with the arijua. He must make them see that we cannot surrender our sacred objects or the place from which they came.

They will meet at the rise of the new guey, but I fear that it is too late. I fear that the ari' are men without reason. I fear they are Yu' Guami'ke'na. Most of all, I fear for my brother, Guarionex and our people of Jaymanio, but tomorrow we will know, and I deeply fear tomorrow.