Chapter 4

Anani's words vex me even as I try to calm her fear. I wonder if Caiçiju has already spoken to my brother of this unusual circumstance. As the sister of the village chieftain, I am allowed to speak with my brother about such affairs. I decide to bid Anani farewell, for now, to go and speak with Guarionex. I know I should not disturb him as he prepares for his ceremony, but this matter is important. I hurry toward his caney where he has gathered his men.

As I enter his longhouse, I see my brother, Guarionex. He is sitting atop his dujo smoking a cojiba and examining the offerings the men have brought for tonight's ceremony.

My face cannot mask my concern, which he sees as I enter to greet him. "Tai Guami' Guarionex," I call to him, as I bow to him in greeting.

"Guarico," he responds, "Come here, my sister and tell me what troubles you."

"Natiao, my brother, I have heard disturbing news that there are strangers among us. They say that some villages have already encountered these arijua with troubling results. My brother, what do you know of these things?"

"I too have heard this news, my sister. It troubles me as well, but we cannot burden ourselves with what we do not know. We will hope that they are guani', men of noble breeding. At the new sun's rise, I will send out scouts and Caiçiju, Tamayo, and I will meet then to speak on these matters. Together, we will pray and seek the guidance of Yúcahu and decide how to proceed. But sister, for now, there is still much to do for tonight's ceremony. I must ready myself, and you should go too."

"Semign Cacona guari, my brother, naboria daca," I say in farewell with hand over heart.