Ring Around the Rosy (11)

"Absolutely not." Fury slams his hands on the table with indignation. "Shield is not stupid, nor would I ever put my complete faith in your "better" nature."

I'm not surprised, but maybe a part of me I never knew I had is disappointed.

Widow covers surprise with a stone slanted face. "No disrespect Fury," her tone implies carelessness either way, "but wouldn't it be
wiser to at least consider Percy Jackson's request?"

There is an edge to her voice as she adds, "We can't give him to the gangs, and locking him would never work in a regular prison. Besides, we can keep a closer eye on him when we dictate his every course of action."

She ends her tirade, but the razor steel in her voice slaps me in the face when I realize the cocoon of oppression.

If they agree with her, then I have just signed away my free will. Willingly.

I clench my fingers around the chair, already feeling the indivisible bonds.

"Natasha's right," Clint says, "We could always kill him, but there would be little gain when we could use him against his gang counterparts."

The slippery snakes of death clench ever-so-tighter.

Fury looks away, "My answer is no," he sets his jaw.

"Then what are you going to do?" I blurt out.

He says nothing, but silence is an answer in itself.

"Fury —" begins Widow.

"Fine," Fury hisses with slitted eyes, he turn on the two, "If this ends up costing us money, lives, or any whim I might take on, consider your days as an Avenger over.  And you!" He rounds on me, "Consider it your death if you make any step out of line. We might need you now, but one day there will be a time where we don't need the little Percy Jackson. And then, killing you will be the least of my troubles."

I narrow my eyes, "I have no where to go and no place to hide, Fury. I am cornered like a feral wolf and retreat is not in my character. I will serve Shield because I have no other choice, and that perhaps is the most powerful of contracts."

He looks at me over steepled fingers, considering me.

"Agreed, Agent Jackson."
____________________________

This is your event schedule:

Sunday:
Debriefing at 08:30

Monday:
Group AB goes to Shield Maximum Security Prison for mandatory regulation inspection

Wednesday:
Group AC goes to Shield Maximum Security Prison for mandatory regulation inspection

Friday:
Group BC goes to Shield Maximum Security Prison for mandatory regulation inspection

You are group C — all mandatory inspections are mandatory

Monday though Saturday:
Required four hours of training completed through hours 04:00—18:00

• All requirements are negated on Field or on diplomatic diplomacy
• Failure to complete these required assignments will directly lead to the decrease in Government Funds streamed to Shield to your salary

Your schedule is non-negotiable
~ Fury

I stare at the half sheet in my hand wildly. Not only am I getting myself into one of the largest Agencies in the world, I'm also getting paid! The gangs paid little to none, and I'd never needed mortal money before my mother's death.