Chapter 8

Royce left work early to go to his appointment at six but on his way he passed by a jewelry store. It looked classy so he popped in and looked at the engagement rings. Gah, what am I doing? he thought to himself. He looked over the rings. He knew now wasn't the right time, but he knew he would come back soon. If someone traces Blake's hit back to me, what would happen to Alena and Gavin? They need me, Royce realized. 

Royce sighed and got into his car and dialed his friend's number, "Yeah man, I've got things taken care of. It's off."

He hung up the phone and began to drive home. He tried to concentrate on driving but he just couldn't stop thinking about Alena. He decided that it was about time they went on a proper date. It was time to go out and have a little fun.

Royce came home to find Gavin and Alena sitting on the couch watching a movie.

"Royce!" Gavin exclaimed.

"Oi, runt!" Royce said as he ruffled Gavin's curly mop of hair.

"Royce, did you know that Alena is going to stay here all the time now? And that Uncle Hubert is really fun and at Uncle Hubert's house he let me stay up late and eat ice-cream... And he has a dog... And..." Gavin began excitedly.

Royce chuckled, "Gavin, I really want to hear all about the things you and Uncle Hubert did but do you think you can go draw Uncle Hubert a thank-you for watching me picture?"

"Ohh of course! I'll go right now," he replied eagerly.

"OK. Maybe you can finish it before dinner is ready?" Royce said.

Gavin scurried off to his room to get started on the picture.

Royce grinned and wrapped his arms around Alena's slender waist.

"Mmm Royce, how was your day?" Alena asked as she enjoyed his embrace.

He's being such a sweetheart to me, Alena thought to herself.

"Better now," he whispered in her ear.

Alena smiled, "Is that so?"

Royce nodded, "Yeah."

"You want me to help you make dinner?" Royce asked pulling away.

"Um... I'm not sure you'd be much help since we're not having ramen. Why don't you just play with Gavin. I'll come get you two when dinner is ready," Alena replied.

"Hey! Don't hate on ramen. Oh and tonight I think we need to talk about some things," Royce replied.

"What kind of things?" she questioned as she tried to hide the confusion on her face.

"Just some stuff," he replied as he made his way to Gavin's room.

Butterflies began to build in Alena's stomach. She wondered what he was going to say. She wondered if he had reconsidered having a stripper in his house.

The three ate dinner while Gavin told Royce and Alena about everything he and Uncle Hubert did. Royce played video games with Gavin for awhile until it was his bedtime. Royce told Alena to relax while he gave Gavin his bath and tucked him into bed.

"Royce, will you tell me a bedtime story?" Gavin asked.

"Oi runt, who do I look like? Alena?" Royce retorted.

"Royce, please its fun," Gavin asked sweetly.

Alena peaked from outside the door as Royce read Gavin a short bedtime story.

Gavin yawned, "Thanks Royce."

He yawned again.

Royce tucked the covers around him.

Royce smiled and whispered, "Goodnight Gav, sweet dreams."

Royce crept out of Gavin's room carefully. He turned out the light and shut the door softly. He headed to the living room where Alena was in her night gown curled up on the sofa. She was intently reading and highlighting one of her nursing textbooks.

"Shit, I gotta find that report for tomorrow," Royce murmured to himself as he looked for his briefcase.

"Alena, why don't we go to my room so we can talk," Royce said a bit distracted as he rummaged through some papers in a manila folder.

"Sure," Alena replied nervously. She set her book down on the coffee table.

Alena sat down on Royce's bed and he shut the door.

"I was just thinking about what you said the other day..." Royce said.

"Uhm, what exactly did I say Royce?" Alena replied as she tried to hide the nervous tone in her voice.