Chapter 16

The next morning, Alena awoke in Royce's secure embrace. She felt the blood rush to her cheeks as she realized what had happened the previous night.

What have I gotten myself into, Alena thought to herself.

She watched Royce sleep peacefully for a few minutes.

I should have waited until I was married and met a guy who didn't know about my past. I wonder what he thinks of me. He used to be my boss, he knows I used to be a stripper, and I just lost my virginity to him, her mind raced with thoughts.

Alena slipped out of Royce's embrace and took a shower, brushed her teeth, put on a little makeup and perfume. She changed into jeans and a long sleeved shirt. She headed to Gavin's room to check on him but he was already awake watching cartoons in the living room.

"Alena!" he exclaimed happily.

"Good morning, Gavin," Alena said warmly.

The two headed to the kitchen.

"What do you want for breakfast?" Alena asked.

"Cinnamon rolls please," Gavin replied.

Alena smiled, "Sure."

Alena made breakfast for Gavin and left some for Royce along with his coffee.

Royce stretched and yawned. He groggily reached over; fully expecting to find Alena next to him but he found that she was gone.

Hmm... she must have gotten up already, he thought to himself.

Royce got in the shower and grinned thinking about the past night's events. He hummed happily to himself as he shaved and brushed his teeth. He was in an unusually cheery mood as he made his way into the kitchen.

"Good morning," he beamed.

"Royce! Alena made cinnamon rolls!" Gavin chirped.

Royce wrapped his arms around Alena and went in for a kiss only to find her to turn her cheek to him. A bit taken aback, he sat down at the table feeling somewhat confused.

Gavin piled pieces of his cinnamon rolls on his fork shoveling them into his mouth.

Between bites he exclaimed, "I have karate today!" he swallowed. "Will you come Royce?"

"Yeah, yeah. You know I will already I don't know why you ask but don't talk with your mouth full," Royce smiled

Royce pulled Alena aside.

"I want you to be really careful when I'm not here OK?" Royce said looking into Alena's beautiful eyes. He wondered if it was possible that she became more beautiful since last night.

"I will," she replied softly.

"Call me if you need anything. Call me if anything seems funny. I mean it," Royce said sternly.

"Royce, I'm sure it's fine. I don't know why Blake would want to continue this," Alena replied.

"Alena, look he's a bad dude. I'm pretty sure he killed his last girlfriend. This guy is off his rocker," he replied.

Alena looked up to Royce with a shocked and slightly frightened look in her eyes.

"Just don't go anywhere by yourself. Promise me, OK?" Royce replied.

Alena nodded, "Of course."

Royce gave her a quick kiss and then Gavin a hug before heading to work.

Alena cleaned the kitchen and then played blocks with Gavin for awhile. Then she unpacked some of her things. She unpacked the box which contained her school books. She put them on the kitchen table.

Hmm... I really need to start studying again. Next semester is coming soon, Alena thought to herself.

Alena made lunch for herself and Gavin and then decided to give Jessica a call.

"Hello?" Jessica answered in her usual upbeat voice.

"Hi Jes! It's Alena!" Alena replied.

"Alena! It's so good to hear from you," Jessica replied.

"Oh my gosh, Jessica! So much has happened. Do you want to do dinner tomorrow night?" Alena asked.

"Sure! What time? Should we invite Lisa?" Jessica questioned.

"Yes! Do you want to call her? How about seven tomorrow?" Alena asked.

"Seven is great! I'll call Lisa and I'll meet you at the restaurant tomorrow at seven!" Jessica replied.

                                                                                         ***

Alena met Royce at Gavin's new karate school. The two sat with the other parents and watched as the kids practiced.

Royce took Alena's small delicate hand within his large one.

I didn't know Royce could be like this. He used to be so cold, so angry, so distant but now he's so loving and kind, Alena thought to herself.

"Oh, tomorrow night I'm going to dinner with the girls. Could you and Gavin order a pizza or something?" Alena asked.

Royce nodded.

"Just make sure to be careful," Royce replied.

Alena nodded, "I will."

What a mess I've got myself into. He used to be my boss and now this. Maybe the girls will help me sort things out tomorrow, Alena thought to herself before focusing back to Gavin's karate class.