Chapter 1: Lauren

I remember hearing her crying for the first time. A bittersweet sound - so full of despair, yet a beautiful relief. The scream drowned my pain, and as I looked into my baby's eyes, I had never been so blissfully happy. Ah, how it would all begin to change...

***

The screaming. Would it never cease? Dragging myself wearily out of bed, I stumbled down the hall, and opened the door to Cecilia's room. There she was, thrashing around in her cot, a sight I had become used to over the last few months. The second she lay her eyes upon me, her cries were replaced with quiet snores. She was asleep. Unbelievable. Furious, I stormed out of the room, and back into my own, where I collapsed onto the bed. Every night was the same; I would enter the room, and she would fall instantly asleep, as if nothing had happened. She would do this around 7 or 8 times a night. It was as if she was mocking me, teasing me somehow. I knew this was ridiculous, but the smile she sometimes gave me before dropping off to sleep made me start to feel suspicious. Despite these thoughts, I knew I had better get to sleep, so as not to waste the few precious minutes of quiet. Shortly after, I fell asleep.