chapter 8 ⚔ Vendetta

I tracked Helena to an alley where she was trying to shoot a leader of the Triad, flipping off of the building above her, getting in her way, hitting the gun out of her hand to make the shot fire aside.

They started to fire toward us.

I pulled Helena into cover.

They drove away, leaving.

Helena pushed me away. "Take your hands off of me."

"What the hell did you think you were doing?" I asked.

"That man was the leader of the Triad," Helena told me. "My father blames them for the recent hits against his men."

"These are men you killed," I told her.

Helena nodded. "That's right. I take out Zhishan and the Triad retaliates. I have weakened my father's organization to the point where there is no way that he can survive their onslaught."

"What, and then you'll have your revenge?" I asked. 

"Then I have justice, for what he did to Michael and me," Helena told me. 

"It's not justice," I told her. 

"And what you do is?" Helena asked.

"Would you let me show you?" I asked.

Helena sighed. "Fine. I'll let Jill Wright make me an offer, and maybe I can refuse."

"How'd you know?" I asked.

"I recognized your voice, and I recognized the look in your eyes," Helena answered. "Let's go."

We were no longer suited up, sitting in the restaurant that Carly, John's sister-in-law, worked in.

"Anything else I can get you?" Carly asked.

"No, thank you, Carly," I answered.

"Where's Diggle?" Carly asked. "It's late, and this is the Glades. Shouldn't he be keeping you safe?"

"She is tougher than she looks," Helena told her.

Carly walked away, leaving.

I looked at Helena. "So, you think you have everything figured out."

"I don't think you're one to judge," Helena told me. 

"I don't kill people," I told her.

"But your friend in the hood does," Helena told me.

"He only kills when it is absolutely necessary," I told her. "It's not his opening move. And the way you're going, you're gonna get somebody hurt, like Moira Queen, or yourself."