The Waterfront

DOCTOR

Hunger had caught up with me and my stomach growled violently. I started to stroll towards a majestic looking restaurant called 'The Waterfront', when I was stooped in my tracks. A girl with her back half turned away from me was staring out at some point far away over the cobalt ocean. Her short brown hair ruffled captivatingly in the air.

Clara.

Stumbling, I took a step towards the solitary figure but froze before I could get any closer. I was imagining this, I knew it wasn't her, I knew my grief was getting the better of me. I whipped my body around with eyes clenched tight and quickly walked into the restaurant, with my hood covering my face, before my emotions had the chance to drive me insane.

All through my meal I could think of nothing but Clara and everything about her: her passion, her kindness -so gentle and yet so fierce. She was always undeterred in the face of danger and found beauty in the most unfathomable depths where everyone else could only see blackness. Facing the fact that she chose to stay with Danny and forget about me was the most painful thing I've ever had to do. The plate of half eaten food before me got colder as the night got later and costumers filed out of the restaurant. Soon I was the only one left, again.

Eventually, I paid the bill and thanked the waiters, leaving my plate of cold food behind and made my way back to the TARDIS kicking my feet as I went.

"Goodnight." I whispered, once I had reached it, fondling various buttons and levers after which the TARDIS responded by lighting up for a moment and emitting a warm 'vwoom' noise. I smiled sadly to myself and settled down with an old Gallifreyan book I read as a child. It told stories of universes that had been and gone, and of monsters that turned into heroes in the sky that never slept and never stopped. They ran, afraid of their former selves, afraid everything would catch up with them and on their way across the universe they saved so many people but never could save themselves. I dreamt of these stories often as a boy and wondered how they coped with the solitude and the loneliness but now I understood. The worst feeling isn't being lonely, but being forgotten by someone you can't forget.