Chapter 2

A short video about the history of Panem and how the Hunger Games had been devised started to play. A grim voice over by the former president I was told was called President Snow, filled the square. "War, terrible war. Widows, orphans, a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land. Thirteen districts rebelled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained. And then came the peace, hard fought, sorely won. A people rose up from the ashes and a new era was born. But freedom has a cost. When the traitors were defeated, we swore as a nation we would never know this treason again. And so it was decreed, that each year, the various districts of Panem would offer up in tribute, one young man and woman, to fight to the death in a pageant of honour, courage and sacrifice. The lone victor, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of oir generosity and our forgiveness. This is how we remember our past. This is how we safeguard our future."

Randy Glitzer, the Capitol woman, clapped before exclaiming, "Wasn't that just fantastic!" No one else was clapping so her smile began to fade and she stopped. Her moment of discomfort was soon forgotten when she said "Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favour!"

She plunged her gloved hand into the reaping ball enthusiastically and picked a slip of paper. She unfolded the paper and read out the name. "Amelia Hart!" The breath caught in my throat and I opened my mouth in shock. My mother's face had gone pale and she slowly walked forward to the stage. "Now then Ms. Hart. Which child will you pick to represent your district?" asked Randy loudly. My mother opened her mouth and choked out "J-jess H-h-hart." Then she stood up confidently and said loudly this time, "Jess Hart." I could see tears swimming in her eyes.

Randy repeated my name a couple of times. I stomped quickly to the stage. My sister screamed and my brother shouted 'No!' I just kept walking. When I reached the stage, i hugged my mum. I stared into her eyes and whispered "Thank you." She nodded and walked off the stage. Another mother was picked and a tough looking boy joined her on the stage. No. Not him! I thought. He was the best wrestler in our school and he was my worst enemy. He laughed as we shook hands, a dangerous look in his eyes. I knew there was no possibility of us being allies.