Chapter 3

Well I might as well talk to her now, especially since she's sitting beside

me. Plus she's my friend I can't ignore her forever, or it could upset her.

"Hey Cassandra. I'm Fine. But I have something to ask you. You know Orlando right?", I asked.

"Yeah."

"Well could you help me tutor him? I'm tutoring him on Wednesdays and Fridays at my house."

"Hmm...I can help you tutor him on Wednesdays, but on Fridays I have softball practice", she says.

"Okay. I'll let him know."

"Class it's time for class please sit down", said the substitute as she

passed out a packet of worksheets. "You will need your books. Also your

teacher told me you can all work together or by yourselves."

"Layla, could I work with you? I forgot my book", Cassandra asked me.

"Sure."

After 20 minutes of working on the packet I finished it. I probably would

have finished faster but it's kind of hard sharing a book. Other people

were talking, on there phones, playing around, and some doing there work.

The substitute looked surprised when I got up and turned in my paper.

"Lay your paper here and you may do whatever you want for the rest of the

class period", she told me. I put it down and went to sit back in my seat.

"You finished so fast. And we started at the same time. How?", Cassandra asked.

"Um... I don't know", I replied.

"Hey why do you need my help for tutoring him? You're smart and have high grades."

I don't want to tell her that he asked for her to come. What do I say?

"Uhh...You just might help me. I'm not that good at explaining things to people."

"Oh okay", she replies back and gets back to working on her work.

What should I do for the rest of the class period. At first I started drawing then I decided to take a nap.

"Hey. Hey. Wake up Ms. Penala", I jolted my head up. The substitute was

the one to wake me up, thanks Cassandra for waking me up.

"I'm sorry Ms. Penala I thought someone else was going to wake you

up so I sent your friend to turn in some papers to the office and told her

she could go home after she dropped them off", said the substitute.

I guess I can't be mad at Cassandra. I just sigh and leave the classroom,

but as I was leaving I bump into someone. "Sorry", I say apologizing.

It was Ricardo. "Hey. You don't have to apologies. I was waiting at the gates for a

while and you don't usually leave without telling me. So I came to look for you", He says.

"Sorry. I fell asleep in class. You should have just walked home without me."

"I don't mind waiting. We should head home", he says and we start walking away from the school.

"Hey, Cassandra is in your class right? Why didn't she wake you up?", he asked.

"Oh. She had to do something for the substitute teacher and after she did it she

could leave or something like that", I say looking down at the sidewalk.

"You seem a little upset about it. Or maybe your upset about something else."

"I'm not upset at her. I'm fine." It's more like I'm mad at myself for having

high expectations. But I shouldn't worry Ricardo over something so stupid. I just

smile at him. From now on no more high expectations about my stupid crush.

"Okay but you should tell me if there's something wrong. It may be nothing

but if it's something that bothers you then it must be something. Plus if

anyone messes with you or bothers you just tell me. I'll get someone to

beat them up", he says jokingly then hugs me as we stop at a crossway.

"As if you would do that", we release our hug.

"You never know."

"Okay. Whatever you say. Bye, see you tomorrow", I say.

"Bye. See you tomorrow", he says as we go opposite ways.