Prologue

Prologue <Maddie's Point of View>

---

"Treasure, that is what you are, honey you're my golden star."  Bruno Mars boomed from my headphones as I jammed out in the small, crowded car.  My lips moved silently to the lyrics of the catchy tune.  I looked out the window into the dark and rainy night.  That long trip from our small town in Michigan was almost over.

"You can make my wish come true, if you let me treasure you, let me treasure you, oh, oh."  I moved my head back and forth to the beat.  The exhaustion from the long trip still hung over me, but I tried to keep my spirits alive.  We were traveling to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for a new life with my stepfather Greg.  After my parents' divorce, my mother had insisted on getting away from our small town in Michigan.  Her and Greg decided to move all the way to Pittsburgh to start a new life together.  Me, being sixteen and extremely difficult, hated this decision.  My old friends were still locked in my heart.  However, Mackenzie being the twelve year old, she was super excited.  I was just frustrated and anxious.  We used to dance back in Michigan, and I wasn't sure if there were any high quality studios to fit my ambitions.  Also, school was going to be torture.  High schools don't like accepting new people into their cliques.  That left me as the outcast of the school, the one that even the nerds could pick on.  Sighing, I had looked out the window, losing my spirits after all the dull thoughts of Pittsburgh.

---

After a few mere hours of driving in the dark, rainy night, we had finally arrived at the new house.  Getting out of the car, I stretched and looked at my new home.  It was a huge house, which was very unlike our old one.  It had at least three stories, not including the basement.  The exterior had clean white walls with statues of random things and a balcony that was connected to some room.  I scowled.  Big houses and crap just weren't my thing, still having that small town girl part of me.  Cursing a little under my breath, I had walked back to the trunk to get my many things.  The September night air had nipped lightly at my ears and nose as I dragged in my two large suitcases.  Walking into the large home, I had nearly dropped everything.  The house looked even bigger than the interior.  In the foyer, there was a large crystal chandelier that looked like the ones in the movies.  There was one of those tall, spiral staircases and a giant kitchen that was the size of our old basement.  The living room was bigger, probably as big as the first floor of our old house, and contained a huge TV screen.  As for the rest of the first story, forget about it.  I was too awed.  Running up the stairs to pick my room, I ran down the hallways of the second floor.  I didn't like any of the three rooms, so I had trudged up the stairs to the third floor.  There, I found the perfect room.  It was huge, and by huge, I mean huge.  In it, there was a huge bed with a large vanity and two big windows behind it.  Near the vanity there was a giant wardrobe.  By the bed, there was a body length mirror leaning against the wall and a large chandelier hanging from the ceiling.  Then, there was the balcony.  Two large glass doors revealed the large balcony that was connected.  I immediately dropped my stuff and ran out to the balcony.  Looking around, I searched for little spots to hang out.  I find a secret climbing spot to get to the roof.  That was going to be handy.

"Maddie!" my mother's voice called me.  I had scurried into the room, shut the glass doors, and started unpacking when my mother walked in.  "So, this is your room?"

I had nodded briskly.  "Yup."

"Ok, well Kenz is on the second floor with us.  I trust you to be up here, ok hun?"

"Yeah mom, whatever.  I'm sixteen."

My mom just sighed.  "Well, when you're done packing, meet Greg and I downstairs.  We have important matters to settle."

"Whatever."

My mom rolled her eyes, then walked out of my room.  Turning on some tunes, I finished unpacking all of my stuff.  Finally, the room I had always wanted as a kid.  Everything was blue with some Paris stuff and just the way I had wanted it.  Taking a deep breath of satisfaction, I ran down the spiral staircase and sat down with my mom and stepdad.

"Ok, Maddie," my mom said, folding her fingers together.  "School starts soon, and by soon, I mean three days.  You will be attending Franklin Regional High School.  Also, I found a dance studio by the name of Abby Lee Dance Company and you and Kenzie will be dancing there.  I planned an audition for you two to be on the elite competition team.  You're also in a lot of honors classes, so you'll be needing to step everything up, got it?"

"Yes ma'am," I had said, sighing.

"Good.  Night, hun."  My mother kissed my forehead.

"Night mom."  I ran back up the spiral staircase and into my new room.  Changing into a black tank top and blue soffes, I slipped into my bed and fell asleep, not ready for Pittsburgh at all.

---

End of prologue.  The next chapter will be taking place on the first day of school.