Chapter 3 (A Rivalry is Born)

Chapter 3 (A Rivalry is Born) <Maddie's Point of View>

---

"Girls!  Pyramid!" Miss Abby's loud voice boomed from Studio A.  All of us ran in and stood in a straight line facing the tall mirrors.  There, taped onto the mirror, was a pyramid with eight pictures covered with papers that read, "Abby Lee Dance Company".  I smiled, proud to be a part of it.  Chloe, who was standing next to me, smiled at me too.  We looked back to Miss Abby. 

"Now, girls," Miss Abby started.  "We didn't have a very good run in Philadelphia last week.  The group got fourth, none of the soloists won, and the duet got third.  I'm not impressed.  So, let's start."  Miss Abby ripped off the first piece of paper,  revealing my sister's head shot. 

"Mackenzie.  You just auditioned today, so welcome to the team!"  The moms and dancers applauded for Kenzie.  She blushed and smiled. 

"Next, we have Maddie.  Maddie, you also auditioned today, and your audition blew me away!  I wish I could've put you at the top, but that wouldn't have been fair to the other dancers.  Welcome to the team as well!"  Once again, the moms and dancers applauded.  This time I was the one to blush and smile. 

"Now, we have Paige.  You did awful in the group.  Maybe it was because you missed two rehearsals last week?  I think yes."  I looked at Paige, who rolled her eyes and looked angry. 

"Why'd she miss rehearsal?"  I asked Chloe, still looking at Paige.

"I'm not sure," Chloe said, narrowing her eyes at the blonde girl.  "She probably was having make-out sessions with different boys in the park."  I nodded, not surprised one bit.

"Next, we have Brooke," Miss Abby said, interrupting my thoughts.  "Brooke, you did well in the dance, but I want more."  I looked at the girl who matched the picture on the mirror, and she was standing next to Paige.  She just rolled her eyes. 

"Brooke is Paige's sister," Chloe whispered to me, and I nodded slowly.

"Nia," Miss Abby blurted out as she ripped off Nia's head shot.  "You did great in the group dance, but your technique needs to be fixed."  Nia nodded, and I mouthed good job to her.  She smiled. 

"Next, Asia.  Asia, you need to know that you won't win every time, and you know why?  Because your technique is awful.  You may have the face and the moves, but you definitely as missing the technique.  Work on that this week."  I saw Asia nod politely.  She was standing next to Kenzie.  Surprise, surprise. 

"Next, Kendall.  Your solo was good, but not great.  You did great in the group though.  However, I can't allow fifth place in a solo."  I looked next to me on my other side, who was Kendall.  Smiling, I whispered to her, "Great job!".  She smiled at me and mumbled a thanks. 

"On top this week, we have Chloe!"  Everyone applauded, and I gave Chloe a quick hug.  She was beaming.  "Chloe, you may not have won in your solo, but you got second and it was phenomenal.  You also did wonderful in the group.  Congratulations."  I smiled at Chloe, and she smiled back. 

"Now, for assignments," Miss Abby rumbled, pulling out a white piece of paper.  My feet switched from one to another, not sure of what to expect.  "Mackenzie, you're in the group, but nothing else."  Kenzie nodded, smiling a bit. 

"Maddie."  I got chills up my spine.  "You have the most assignments this week.  I want to challenge you."  I nodded politely.  "You have a lyrical solo to "The Scientist" by Coldplay.  Chloe, you and Maddie have a lyrical duet to "Fix You" by Coldplay."  Chloe and I squealed and hugged like little children.  (A/N: I may have a slight obsession with Coldplay)