Chapter 1 (New Friends, New Enemies)

Chapter 1 (New Friends, New Enemies) <Maddie's Point of View>

---

"Ringgggggggg!"  I groaned as my old-fashioned alarm went off.  Shoving my heavy, blue comforter to the side, I stood up and went to my wardrobe.  Instinctively, I pulled out a casual outfit that I would've worn in Michigan.  It was a plain brown V-neck tee with a pair of capris and my blue and white converse.  I pulled a brown belt around my waist and looked in the mirror.  Looked great to me.  Sighing, I went into my bathroom and did my hair, which was just a french braid down the side of my head so that the braid was on my shoulder, then brushed my teeth and washed my face.  Lastly, I had makeup.  Luckily, I had a perfect complexion, so I just started some eyeshadow, which I chose a little amount of light brown over a vanilla.  Next, I started some black mascara.  All of a sudden, I heard someone coming from the hallway.

"Maddie!" Mackenzie screamed from behind me.  I jumped and poked myself in the eye with my mascara.

"Ow!" I squealed, looking at Kenzie.  "What was that for?"

"I always do that on school days to make sure you're awake, remember?" Kenzie said, talking like I didn't know what the alphabet was. 

"Yeah, yeah, I remember," I said, dismissing the topic with a wave of my hand.  "Just go get ready."

"Ok," Kenzie sighed, then walked out of my room.  Turning to my mirror, I finished my mascara and added some pencil eyeliner and a layer of nude lip gloss.  Looking in the mirror, I smiled, pleased, then walked back into my room.  Grabbing my iPhone from its charger, I trotted down the spiral staircase and into the giant kitchen, where my breakfast was prepared.  It was the "first day of school master meal" as my mother called it.  This meal included a stack of three pancakes, two scrambled eggs, white toast, and three strips of bacon.  Hungry, I gobbled everything down and checked my phone for text messages.

Charlotte♥: good morning!

Smiling at my best friend from Michigan's text, I quickly typed a reply.

you: Morning Charlotte! ♥

Charlotte♥: i'm gonna miss you on the first day of school. :'(

you: Yeah, my first day is today. I miss you already. :'(

Charlotte♥: good luck mads! see you soon (hopefully)!

you: Yup! Bye!

Closing the conversation, I stood up and grabbed my backpack and slung it over my shoulder.  "Mom!" I called, tapping my toe.  "Hurry!  I want to be there early!"

"I'm coming, Maddie!" my mother's delicate voice called.  Sighing, I sat down in my chair once again and waited.  After a mere five minutes, my mother trotted down the stairs and grabbed her keys.  "Ready?"

"Yeah," I said, sighing, then followed my mom out to the car.  Sitting in the passenger seat, I threw my backpack into the backset.  I placed my feet on the dashboard and leaned back in my seat.

"So, Maddie," my mom asked, not looking away from the road.  "Are you nervous for the first day?"

"Well, kinda," I said truthfully.  "I mean I am the new girl, and even though it's still the first day of school for them too, it's sophomore year, so all the cliques have formed.  What if I'm not accepted into one?"

"You will be, hun," my mom cooed, stroking my arm with one hand.  "Don't worry about it."

I sighed and looked out the window.  Why couldn't we just have stayed in Michigan?  There, I didn't have to deal with any glitzy city girls that may be in my new school.  I hated being the new kid, the one that everybody could pick on. My mom just didn't understand; in those times, there wasn't rumor-spreading or electronics and social networks or fashion worrying.  Sometimes I wished I lived in the old times, then I thought of my iPhone, and I would wish against it.