Why me?

I was waiting for the bell to ring, to signal the end of the day. I just wanted to leave at this point. Everybody kept talking to me about Luke, and I was getting annoyed.

Why did I even pretend I had a thing with him? It isn't like he had actual solid proof of me racing. My windows were tinted, nobody could see inside of them. But, why hadn't I allowed him to prove he was lying then?

Finally, the bell rung. I walked out of class, only to find Luke waiting there. " What? " I gave him an annoyed look, but all he did was smirk and laugh. " Am I not allowed to meet up with my girlfriend at the end of the day?" I rolled my eyes.

"I hope you know, tonight is when you're helping me make up with Luce." " And how am I doing that?" I rolled my eyes. " I'm inviting her to my house for a study session considering SAT's are in two months, I'll text you to come over, and you'll explain everything to her."

" I don't know about that sweetheart." He sort of chuckled, which annoyed me. " You told me you would, so you are." I was giving him a serious look. He knew better than to double cross me.

Once Luke finally agreed we walked to the parking lot. " See ya " Luke turned to look at me confused " What do you mean? " He questioned " I'm walking home, considering I don't have a car." He gave me an ' are you kidding me' look. " Get in the car. If anybody is gonna believe this, I need to drive you around. " I groaned but got in the passenger seat.

" Everybody is looking at your car. It's creeping me out". Luke laughed. " Well, get used to it sweetheart. You're going to be the talk of the school. It isn't everyday the Nerd and jock get together". I glared at him. " We technically aren't together". He looked at me. " Well, I'm changing the deal. Since I have to make things right between Luce and you, you're gonna be my actual girlfriend. No pretending. Which means, no secret boyfriends, or girlfriends, no cheating, and we do things normal couples do".

" No that was never the deal. I won't agree to that". I glared at him. " Fine, I will show everybody the video, and I won't help fix things with Luce ". He smirked at me. " You don't even have a video of me racing. So, I'm calling your bluff".

We pulled into his driveway and we walked into his house, or should I say mansion. I forgot how big his house was. " Hey mom, you remember Laila, right?" Luke asked his mom, while grabbing my hand. I tried to pull out of his grasp, but he just held tighter, like he didn't want me letting go.

" Why of course I do! Its been so long, why haven't I seen you, I mean, you and Luke seem to be really close, so why has it been this long?" She questioned me. "We had our differences, we changed, then we drifted. It was only recently that we started getting close again". I responded quickly, still trying to get out of Luke's grasp.

We walked upstairs, quietly at first. " Stop trying to let go, you're gonna have to learn to hold my hand if we are gonna make this work!" Luke somewhat shouted at me, I flinched. " I'm sorry, I didn't mean to shout, but I brought you here to prove I'm not bluffing". We walked into his room, It looked the same as when I was here 4 years ago.

" Surprised it's still the same?" Luke looks at me kind of chuckling. " Well yeah, I mean you completely changed, I thought you'd change this up to". I slightly smiled. " I couldn't, I didn't want to forget anything, I didn't want to forget us". He looked at me, and for once, I could see his emotions, he was broken, hurt, sad.

" Why? After everything we went through, after we drifted, why couldn't you forget me? You had all your new friends, you were popular, a wide receiver, and I was the nerdy chick who sat on the sidelines. We weren't in the same friend group, so why couldn't you forget?"

" Did you really never notice? After everything we went through? Knowing each other for as long as I can remember? I can't forget you, or put you in the past! I was in love with you. Hence why I hated all your boyfriends. But we were so close, I couldn't risk losing you for good. But I did, because I changed. I hated it, hated myself, because I let you just walk away. And I let myself be who I am now. I didn't want to forget us, so I kept all our pictures together hanging around my room, all our letters, gifts, and I never changed my room. That way, I still had a reminder of how we used to be".

" We were always friends, Luke. Nothing more, and I don't think we ever will be. Look, I'm sorry I left. But you changed so much, I just couldn't deal with it. I appreciate you being honest, but I think I should leave.. I'm sorry Luke". I walked out of his room, and instantly regretted it. " Laila! Please don't leave again, I don't want to go through it again. I can't lose you again!" He shouted.

" You never had me in the first place! I'm only here because of our deal! I'll keep the deal in school, but otherwise I can't. And don't worry, I'll make up with Luce myself. But I have to go. I'm supposed to meet a friend of mine anyways. I'll see you tomorrow Luke..". With that, I walked out of his house, and all the way to Darren's house.

When I finally got there, I stood on his porch for a few seconds. Do I really want to do this? Put myself through this pain? I guess we will find out. I rung his doorbell. After about 5 minutes he finally opened the door. " Hey, come on in". He simply greeted. Maybe Tyler was wrong, maybe everything will be okay. But I don't want to come out automatically and ask. I'll wait.

" So, I just wanted to say sorry for being so distant lately. I know I came out of no where texting you today, but I'm glad you accepted. I missed seeing your beautiful face". He said while smiling at me. Okay, maybe I should ask him.

" Umm, thanks, so what'd you wanna do?" I questioned him awkwardly. " How about a movie?" I nodded and we headed up to his room. I walked in and sat on his bed like always. " Can I ask you about something? It's kinda been bugging me.." He looked confused. " Sure, what's up?"

" Don't get mad, but Tyler and I were talking and you were brought up. We were talking about what about what was going on between us, and he told me that you had a girlfriend. And if that's true, I need to know, because I don't want to start anything with you again, while you're with somebody else. I can't go through that again Darren". He walked over and sat down in front of me. "Laila, I promise you, what Tyler said was a lie.

He cupped my face, leaned in, and kissed me. I surprisingly kissed back. After a few minutes, I finally pushed away. " Okay, how about that movie now? " I questioned. " Sure, I'll run downstairs and get some". He walked out. A few minutes later, someone started calling him, I picked up.

" Hello?" I answered.

" Who is this?"

" Laila, who are you?"

" I'm Darren's girlfriend. Why do you have his phone?" Luke walked in, and gave me a confused look

" So, Darren is your boyfriend?" I said, he went wide eyed.

"Yes why?"

" Never mind. I'll just go now." I hung up.

" Laila, please let me explain!" He started. " There is nothing to explain Darren! You lied to me, told me you didn't have a girlfriend, I believed you. I got hurt by you, again. So, I'm just gonna go. Goodbye Darren. Don't text me ever again, and delete my number. I was obviously just some stupid hook up to you" I walked out of his house and started crying.

I ran all the way home, laid in bed and cried. I was just thinking about everything that happened today. Luke, telling me how he felt, and me realizing I hurt him. Because we can't be like that. Dawson, playing me, breaking me, again. I finally fell asleep at around 3 in the morning, after crying for hours on end.

Tomorrow is going to be hell.