Chapter 1

I'm an orphan. No home. No food. No family. I have to steal to survive. Life is never easy and the League is always chasing me. I was completely alone until one day I met the person who changed my life forever. This is how it happened.
I was running. The sirens came from behind me, and now as I darted down the alley, they were in front of me. There was a fire escape. I bolted to the top. When I made it to the roof, an officer saw me. He shouted, I took off.
I jumped from roof to roof. There was a gun shot. Two. Three. This time I didn't make it. By the time I hit the ground I was already running. Downtown was just ahead. Finally, I made it. Ducking into a store, I sprinted to the back door. The people in the store all ducked behind clothes racks. As I slipped through the back door a bullet hit my left shoulder. Pulling out my pistol, I shot the officer behind me. The bullet hit his thigh. I pulled out my knife and stumbled down the alley.
Someone sprinted around the corner. They ran into me and knocked me to the ground. There was a girl's face above me. She was about two years older than me. She had green eyes and blonde hair with a red streak in it, the color of the rebellion. Her nose was broken and she had a black eye. She got up and ran. An officer came around the corner. Running after the girl, I came to a street with a lot of closed shops. I lost sight of the girl.
There were sirens in the distance. I ran for the woods. Three blocks later, the woods came into my view. Looking back I saw a police car. Darting into the woods, I ran and ducked under tree branches. A clearing in the trees revealed a small brown hut. My hideout. Inside it was round and had a fireplace, a stove, and a straw bed with a couple of blankets. I made a fire. The fish I had grabbed in the chase and a couple of vegetables from a small sales booth sizzled on the stove. I sat down with an apple and poured some water. I tended to my wounds, my bruises and cuts and shoulder.
It stung as I dabbed at my shoulder. I wiped the sweat from my forehead. Grabbing the now burnt fish from the stove, I took a seat in the only chair.
As I ate I thought about where I would go tomorrow. I decided to rob a small store in the upper town. It had medicine. Someone shouted a little ways away. I put out my fire and put the fish and vegetables in a small bag. Pulling out my gun, I grabbed everything I owned and went to the door. I looked back and saw a small cottage. My home, and now I had to leave. I stepped out the door and ran away from the voice.
Someone tackled me. I looked up and saw the girl from the alley. Her black eye and broken nose were completely fixed! "What are you doing here?" I asked half shouting.
"Be quiet,"she said. "They might hear you." I sat up a little.
"Who might hear me?" I asked.
"The bounty hunters."she said. "There is a bounty on both of us wanted dead or alive, mostly dead," She replied.
"What did you do to the League?"I asked. "I destroyed one of their base, and a weapon shelter. I did a lot and I almost ruined one of their tax attacks on one of the lower towns." She sounded angry.
"Well I-" I started.
"I know what you did. You destroyed a League bomb shelter and blew up part of the League Capitol. I have been trying to find you for a while. We need to stand up to the League. Together."she said. Before I could answer a man shouted. Fire exploded beside me. I went sprawling onto the ground. I felt cuffs on my hands. The girl screamed. I still didn't know her name. A man gagged me. I was thrown in a truck bed. The girl was trashing. "You can't take me to the League," she screamed. They hadn't gagged her, why not? The truck lurched forward. I reached for my gun with tied hands. It was gone! My knife was still in my belt. I reached for it. I cut my hands free. The girl was out cold and had a nosebleed, a bruised face, and once again, a black eye.
She woke up. "What is your name,"I asked.
"My name is-" she was cut off by an explosion. "I knew it, they just couldn't leave me," she said angrily. At that exact moment she lunged at me. She knocked me over.
"What are you doing?"I asked.
"Stay down!"she screamed. A man grabbed her. Something stabbed into my shoulder. I fell into a deep sleep. As I slept I heard gunshots. When I awoke I was hanging from my wrists. The girl was tied by her wrists too.
"What's going on," I asked. For some reason, I trusted her now. "We are in a League base,"she replied." I led u here, the people who captured us at first, they were rebels. I'm sorry." She sounded upset.
"Why are you sorry? You didn't do any thing. This isn't your fault," I said.
"Yes it is I'm not who I said. I am an assassin, hired by the League. My mission was to kill you. But I learned something that stopped me."she replied. I was stunned. How could she. My wrists began to hurt.
"Yeah well what did u learn," I asked shouting angrily.
"I found out......... I found out your my....brother." she replied. I didn't believe her. I wouldn't believe her. I couldn't.
"That isn't possible," I said. "My father had the plague, my mother was killed."
"My father was an officer my... our mother was a criminal. That is why my dad left her."she replied.
A man came in. He cut me down and said "trial time." I was so gonna die. My new sister screamed- "Wait what about my payment?"
"He is alive your punishment for failure will be a fair trial, and then punishment," he replied. He didn't say it because we all knew she would be killed. That is how the League punishes people. Fair was not the word. I twisted out of the man's grasp, and drove my knife into his stomach. I cut the girl down.
"Your still my sister now let's go." I said as we started to run. Sirens blared. I saw a helicopter pad and a helicopter. Why would there be a helicopter if we were underground. That means we are in an above ground base. It had to be the Capitol. I ran and made it to the helicopter. We flew out with a little trouble. The roof opened easily. The main problem was the air security system.
Rockets launched at us. The helicopter started to fall. I wished I had a weapon other than a knife. Oh my god my gun! I hadn't seen it since we had got captured! What was I gonna do? My mom had given me that gun before she was taken. She might be a criminal, but so am I and I still loved her. It was all I had left because they burned my house with me inside as soon as they got my mother out. They hadn't left her inside because her punishment was too see me die, but she saw me escape. So the League tortured her and then killed her. But I had bigger problems. We were about to hit ground. How would I get out of this? 300 meters until we hit the ground. Just then I slammed my head on the steering wheel and blacked out.