Chapter 16: The Best Night

It wasn't long before the sweet smell of chicken came floating into the room and we stopped the film, knowing the food wouldn't be too much longer.

I went to help my mum set the table as she absentmindedly watched Steven carefully carve the meat creating a pile onto a plate.

"See mum, that's how you do it" I said jokingly as she turned back to face me as if being caught doing something she shouldn't. I laughed and continued placing glasses on the table as she got out the juice.

Once everyone was seated we tucked into our food. There were many voices praising Steven for how tasty the food was.

He sat beside me so I could see him blush when my mum said how nice it was. It was incredibly nice though, the best meal I'd had in a long time.

"I'm completely stuffed!" Phil said, rubbing his belly like a pregnant woman.

"Same here" Anne-Marie added.

My mum was going get a cheese cake out of the fridge but everyone was too full to want any so we just went into the living room again.

My mum sat on one of the arm chairs and my dad sat on the floor in front of her.

Phil sat between Anne-Marie and Lauren on the sofa and Steven squeezed next to me on the other arm chair with my legs hanging over his, which was surprisingly comfortable.

"I was thinking we should all drive to a theme park or something soon, you know, before summer ends" Steven suggested.

"In what car?" Phil said. Recalling his lack of vehicle. "I lost Wendy, remember?" the fakest smile on his face.

"Oh, yeah" he said. I could see he felt a bit stupid for forgetting so I took his hand for comfort.

"You could take my car" my mum suggested. I was a bit shocked that she would offer us her car but given recent circumstances I think she felt sorry for us.

"I don't mind, really. There's enough room for you all, Phil can drive." She added, knowing Lauren's track record for driving experiences.

"That's really nice of you" Anne-Marie said. I think my mum really likes her, she comes across much sweeter and kinder than I do.

"Thank you" Steven said. My mum smiled at him and so did my dad.

I was really glad that they liked him.

***

After about an hour of chit-chat Phil offered to drive Anne-Marie and Lauren home, since he had borrowed his mum's car for today.

My mum and I showed them to the door and waved them off. I could hear Phil's music playing as he drove off down the road and my mum and I went back inside.

"I had a load of lessons a while ago I just need to take my test, just never got round to it really" I heard Steven say to my dad.

"What were you two talking about?" my mum asked, sitting on the sofa. I joined her.

"Steven said about how he's going to take a driving test at some point" my dad said.

"Yeah, I learnt ages ago, just never took a test" he said a little awkwardly.

"You never told me" I said, although I'm sure there were lots of things he never told me.

There was a small silence where I was reminded of a certain piece of information that we all shared but probably wouldn't ever speak of again.

I would like to think that I'm the only one that was thinking about how I was pregnant and lost the baby within such a short space of time. It still hurts me, just the thought of this is painful. I tried not to show it, luckily my mum gave me an escape.