Chapter Thirty Three

((OMG DESOLATION REACHED 10K READS TODAY!! I want to thank you all for helping this story get to where it is today!! I really hope that you guys enjoy this chapter, especially the ending😏. Don't forget to vote and comment!))

The scream that comes out of my mouth is blood-curdling.

It can't be...

I stare at him with wide eyes and he stares back, a glazed, distant look painted on his face.

This is what they did to him.

They brainwashed him into being one of them.

I suddenly feel queasy, as if I am going to vomit.

"Ian?" I say, my voice trembling.

"How do you know my name?" he says sharply.

I take a shaking step towards him, feeling dizzy with fear. This is my worst nightmare, coming true right before my eyes.

"Ian, it's me, Tessa," I say, tears filling up in my eyes.

He stares at me blankly for a few moments, no sign of recognition on his face.

He doesn't know who I am.

"Ian, it's us, Dylan, Nikki, Tristan and Tessa. Don't you remember us?" Dylan says from behind me.

He stares at us for a few moments, appearing to be thinking hard. I close my eyes for a moment, praying that he will remember.

"No," Ian finally says.

Tears begin to roll down my face.

"Ian, what is going on?" I ask.

"I work for the Blair Institute," Ian says flatly.

"No, you do not. They did this to you. You're not one of them; they brainwashed you into thinking that you're on their side. But you're not," I sob.

Ian continues to stare at me, his jawline set and hardened.

"You're wrong. I work for the Blair Institute and we are working for the greater good," Ian says mechanically.

He has been completely brainwashed by them.

"Please Ian..." I sob, moving towards him.

I put my hands on his arms, looking up into his eyes. He stares at me, and for a split-second, I think that I see a look of recognition appear on his face. But this look quickly passes away and is replaced by his stolid, emotionless gaze. He then pushes me off of him and turns around, walking towards the door.

I cry as he opens the door, walks out and closes it behind him, locking us inside. For a few moments, everyone else stands in silence, still trying to process what just happened. I slowly turn around, facing the others. They all look at me with pained expressions on their faces.

Tristan walks towards me and the next thing that I know, I am sobbing in his arms. Now I am the one crying on his shoulder. He pulls me close against his body, rubbing his hands on my back as I cry even harder.

I am an absolute mess.

I cry burning tears of anger and hatred towards people who did this to Ian. The people who turned him into a walking and living robot.

Finally, I pull myself out of Tristan's arms, wiping the tears from the cheeks. There's no point in continuing to cry; it's not going to help or get me anywhere. Also, I have run out of the energy to keep crying.

Tristan looks down at me and rubs his thumb across my cheek, wiping away the tears.

"Hey Tessa, I'm really sorry..." Nikki says.