Chapter Forty One

((here is a picture of Eve for ya'll to see! and sorry I couldn't update yesterday, I was at a track meet that took FOREVER hahahaha. I hope that you enjoy this chapter and don't forget to vote and comment thanks!))

"Two of them are right there." 

The man's words make my heart stop.

He can see us.

They begin to walk towards us with a hungry look in their eyes, like a predator closing in on its prey. 

"RUN!" Ian shouts, grabbing my wrist.

Before I can say anything, Ian jumps up and starts to run, dragging me behind him. 

"SHOOT THEM!" one of the men shouts.

I duck as tranquilizer darts silently whiz by my head. We keep running as fast as we can, with the men close on our heels. Every time they shoot, I think to myself how lucky I am that I haven't gotten hit yet. Just one good shot and I am out.

With my heart pounding in my chest, we sprint through the darkness, dodging past trees and bushes. I can hear the men getting closer and closer behind us and the feeling of hopelessness inside me grows stronger and stronger. They are going to catch us.

Then suddenly, just when I think that I cannot run anymore, I hear a loud bang of a gunshot. Then another. Jumping with fright, I turn around to see two of the men, slumped on the ground.

Dead.

There is another loud bang as another one of them falls, crashing down onto the ground. Now there is only one of them left.

"What the hell was that?" Ian yells breathlessly as we continue to run.

I am so out of breath that I can't even tell him what just happened.

BANG!

I turn around again to watch the last man stop and crumple to the ground. 

"Stop running!" I gasp.

Ian immediately stops, letting go of my arm. We both turn around to see the four men, all sprawled out on the jungle floor. 

"What the..." Ian murmurs under his breath.

"S...Someone shot them," I whisper breathlessly.

"Who?" Ian asks.

We look around in the darkness, trying to see who did it. Then suddenly, a girl's voice says,

"I did."

I jump and swivel around to see someone step out from behind a tree.

Eve.

She slowly walks out from the darkness, a gun in her hand. I swallow hard, still in shock. 

"You're welcome," she says, looking up from the dead bodies to us.

Eve looks at us, raising her eyebrows slightly when neither of us respond. Finally, I blurt out,

"Thanks."

Even though I may despise her, she did just save us from being captured. I wonder why she did. 

"Yeah, thanks," Ian says.

She nods, pocketing the gun.

"Where did you get that gun?" I ask.

"I had it the whole time," she says flatly.

"And how did you find us?"

"I heard shouting so I ran over to find you two being chased by those men. So I shot them down for you," she explains.