Chapter Forty Three

((omg, Desolation reached 40k reads today and was #1 in adventure again!! Woohoo!! I am so glad that you all are enjoying this book, and I really hope that you all enjoy this chapter!! Don't forget to vote and comment thank you!! and here is another pic of Ian))

I am pretty sure that I must have passed out because the next thing that I know, I wake up on a couch. There is a dull pounding in my head, like a hammer constantly hitting my skull. When I open my eyes, I groggily look up to see everyone leaning over me.

"She's up," I hear someone murmur quietly.

I slowly sit up, looking around the room.

And that's when I remember what happened.

The memory of who I saw laying on that bed in the secret room comes crashing back into my mind.

The memory of seeing someone that looked exactly identical to me.

I suddenly feel dizzy again and have to grip the sides of the couch to keep myself stable. I feel someone's hand clasp mine and glance up to see Ian. He is looking at me with a concerned expression on his face.

"Are...are you okay?" he asks me.

I swallow hard.

There is one thing that I have to do.

I suddenly stand up and immediately walk towards the bookshelf. Just as I am about to lean on it to make it revolve, I hear Ian shout out,

"Tessa, wait!"

I turn around.

"Why?" I ask.

"You shouldn't go back in there...," he murmurs.

"Yeah, your boyfriend's right" Eve chimes in annoyingly.

I stare at all of them for a few moments.

"I...I need to see her again," I say.

Ian shakes his head.

"You shouldn't Tessa. It's too creepy," Nikki says.

But I don't listen to them. Instead, I lean against the bookshelf, causing it to slowly revolve. It completely rotates until there is the door on the other side. I put my hand on the knob and twist. Slowly, the door creaks open, revealing the secret room. After taking one deep breath, I step inside.

In an eerie silence, filled only by the ominous humming of the machine that the girl is hooked up to, I slowly walk towards her. I can literally hear my heart, which is pounding in my chest like a drum. Goosebumps prickle up on my skin as I get closer and closer to her.

Finally, I arrive at her side. When I look down at her, I nearly faint again.

She looks exactly like me.

From her dark wavy hair to the freckles lightly speckled on her cheeks, there is no doubt that this person is identical to me.

I stare at down her for a few moments, frozen in a sort of sinister mesmerization. I would have thought that she was dead, but after further examination, I can see that her chest is slowly rising and falling. Cautiously, I reach out and lightly place my hand on her arm. Her skin is as cold as ice.

"Tess?"

I jump, whipping around to see Ian standing a few feet behind me.

"What are you doing?" he asks.

I am currently staring at my unconscious doppelgänger, Ian.

"Erm...I don't know," I say quickly.