Chapter two

Edit 8/31/14- Right now this chapter in the story does not fit with last one. Please be patient with me! This will be edited correctly soon enough.

After being told so many times by our teachers that we were being worshiped by humans, a broom to the face was a little more than I expected

“Wait! I’m not a-

I screeched as the broom make contact with my pale face, took to the skies, and looked back down, to see the woman who had hit me staring at me with wide eyes, “it’s-it’s-it’s an angel!” she stammered.

I coughed, “Ma’am, I needah to spendeh the night at your beautiful cottageh until I can find a permanentah place to stayeh.”

She just looked at me, dumbstruck.

"I um... Uh... Well, I suppose-

“Mary! What’s going on?” yelled a gruff man’s voice, “you woke me up! I was-"

He gaped when he saw me, “Mary. What the hell is that?” I gasped; he had said a Terrible Word! "Get that thing away from my house! What is it doing here? It's a sin!"

"Charles calm down sweety," Mary started whispering to him, occasionally glancing at me. 

Charles straightened and cleared his throat, glaring at me, "I'll be back. You stay here, angel, demon, whatever you are."

Mary smiled wanly at me, “My husband isn’t very forgiving, I’m sorry about this darling.” She went inside as well, but leaving the door open. I didn’t know what to do, but my instincts brought me closer to the house, hovering in front of the door, the warmness from the cottage coating my wings.

Suddenly, Charles jumped into the doorway, his nose inches from mine. He pulled out a long stick thing, and pulled on it. It made a loud noise and I jumped out of the way just in time, but the thing that came out of the stick grazed my shoulder, and a burst of pain flooded my shoulder.

For a second all I could do was stare at the blood. The world started spinning, and I could hear Charles's laugh and Mary's whimper.

Then I screamed.

I screamed as loud as I could, my voice my high pitched and loud, deafening the human couple's ears. I screamed so loud that I heard sirens from the clouds, and sirens from Earth.

My wings were moving on their own accord, I was rising slowly towards the Empire, faster and faster and faster, so fast that I was just a blur. And when I felt the security of a cloud, I collapsed, and let the blood seep from my shoulder.

 No one truly knew what happened to the angels that had done wrong to the Empire. All we could get out of the situations was that they never came back after being brought into a "labratory." 

Some angels say they were killed, some say they were dumped on an angel base for labour, but no one really knows for sure. All we knew is that they were never seen again, and no one seemed to care. You disrespect the Empire, you lose respect for yourself

~~~

When I woke up, a drink was being brought to my lips, it tasted bitter and like blood. I spit it out, and tried to scream again, but no sound came out. I tried to speak, but my mouth was dry.

"Hush up young girl, you have disrespected the Empire, and we are taking away your wings,” Hissed a voice. I realized the room wasn’t dark; I just couldn’t open my eyes.

Take away my wings? My rare white wings?

I squirmed and tried to break my bond, but I felt a needle pierce my skin, and everything went blank.

When I woke up again, I was not on the bed I was before. I was lying on a hard surface that tickled my bare toes. It didn’t smell like the Empire.

The empire smelled clean and crisp because of the cold; here it smelled of sweet, warm air, and wheat. Warm wheat. I let my senses fill with this place, this wonderful place.

It wasn’t at the Empire, I knew that.  I must’ve gotten dumped on Earth. I sat up and almost flew up a few inches; there was no weight on my back! My wings! I felt my back, expecting at least to find butterfly wings, but there was nothing. I didn’t know whether to felt excited, or… Not.

My beautiful white wings. The ones that everyone were jealous of. So rare. So beautiful. Gone. Just like that, in the matter of days. I couldn’t believe it. When I was little my mother would boast of my beauty, my wings, my hair, my eyes, they all showed promise of a beautiful angel women.

And now I was just another human. Just another of the billions of humans that lived here. I looked down at my clothes; I had a white dress on, with white eagle feather boots. My wound had been healed using the special medicines the sages used. Even though I envied the humans, there were so many of them. You could get lost in a crowd and no one would care. You could die and no one would notice. 

But it also can be a blessing. You can be alone without anyone to haunt you, without anyone to take you away when you said one bad word. Humans could say as many Terrible Words as they wanted to, and no one would care. Or, maybe someone would care, but they wouldn't be thrown in jail or made to work hard labour.

I realized that I couldn’t stand up, my legs were still experiencing the drug that made my nerves stop working. I knew I didn’t have the energy to crawl to civilization, the only thing I could do was sleep. Sleep and wait. So I settled back into the warm grass and let the glowing orb tickle me with its rays, and slept.