Chapter 2: The Wedding

Today's the day, our day.
Blake and I went to sleep late last night. We both couldn't sleep, so we just sat in front of the big window and looked at the city lights some more, holding each other.
Blake's sweet like that, he's almost perfect.
He's a great father too. He takes Harley out to play in the parks, ride her bike, reads her stories, and cares for me too.
I was alone, when I met Blake.
I had just moved to Chicago, and had nowhere to go.
I met Blake at a little cafe downtown on my first day. Ironically, all other seats were taken, and I asked if I could sit on the little bench outside with him.
Being the gentleman he is, he said yes. And not only did he allow me to sit, but engaged in conversation as well.
Turns out we were both from Rhode Island, originally. My family moved all over, but that was where I was born.
Anyway, we hit it off and spent all day together. I mentioned moving here for the first time, and he walked me around all day.
Then took me in at night. I add silently. *wink wink*
After that I just kind of stayed, and we became.
Two years later and I already have a daughter,
and I'm getting married.
I know, a real life fairytale.
I woke up this morning, Blake's arm wrapped over my shoulder, hugging me close, his soft breathes on my neck.
I lift his arm and flip around so I'm facing him, he wakes up.
He blinks his eyes open. "Morning, Gwen." and kisses me on the cheek.
"Morning." I reply with a slight smile, still half asleep.
We just sit in silence, and it's not even awkward. That's another thing I love about Blake. He makes absolutely nothing feel awkward: you can do whatever around him, and he'll just giggle or laugh it off.
That's good because I can get out of hand sometimes.
Eventually we both get up and put some clothes on.
We are supposed to have the ceremony around 11:00 at the church downtown.
Delilah is bringing my dress and all the flowers, she insisted that Blake not see the dress until the walk down the aisle.
We wake up Harley and all walk downtown to the church, one small happy family.
Once we're at the church, Delilah already arranged everything, Blake and I separate to change.
I help Harley change from her jean shorts and t-shirt into her cute white dress with pink flowers. She picked it out, all on her own.
Delilah then helps me into my skinny white dress. It's pretty plain, except the veil is see through with white flowers; one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen myself wear.
My bouquet is made up of red and white roses, and Harley is carrying a basket with both color rose petals to spread on the floor.
She's so excited, she keeps hopping up and down.
I wait outside the church doors until Delilah opens them from the inside, and a pianist starts to play.
Harley's in front of me dropping flower petals all over the floor.
Blake's mouth drops when I walk through the door. I continue down the aisle and he starts to tear up.
He's wiping tears from his eyes when I reach him and the priest.
The priest rambles on, but I can only focus on Blake, my future husband in a matter of minutes.
My mind is pulled back into attention when the priest says," Do you, Blake Wright take Gwen as your lawfully wedded wife?"
Blake responds," I do." With the biggest smile on his face.
"And you, Gwen Grace, take Blake Wright to be your lawfully wedded husband?"
"I-" I stutter.
Blake looks at me to see if I'm okay.
"I- I need to take a minute." I say, not really able to control myself.
I walk back down the aisle and outside the church doors.
I take a deep breath.
I look outside at all the rushing cars and lights.
All the loud sounds of people talking and car horns.
Delilah comes outside.
"Oh, Delilah! I didn't know what I was saying. It was almost like I was being controlled. I was about to say I do, but I just stopped. Why?" I asked her.
"I'm not sure, but why don't you get back in there and finish." She says ushering me inside.
I resist.
"No, I can't." I say running down the church steps and onto the sidewalk. I can't control myself again, the brainwashed feeling returns.
"Gwen! Come on!" I hear Delilah shout as I'm almost down the steps.
"Delilah help!" I scream, running down the sidewalk, my dress trailing behind me.
I reach the end of the sidewalk and there's a cross road walk up ahead.
Cars are rushing by, but my body doesn't stop. It can't stop.
I hear Delilah's screams after me, and I try to stop running, but it's not working.
I reach the cross road.
"Delil-!"
Something comes crashing into my left side, knocking me down.
I can't feel anything, except I see people hovering over me.
A girl, her face familiar, is right over me, and a man, but I can't place their names.
I reach up to my head, my ears ringing, and feel blood.
"Blake...?" I manage to say.
I black out.