Chapter 10: The Definition of War

The events of the party still played in my mind the following morning as if it were a movie stuck on loop. After that guy Wan and crazy-ass Lynn escorted us out of the party with their fear-invoking tactics, we had stopped to talk as we huddled around Wan's car.

The night air was sharp against my skin as we spoke. The atmosphere was also different than when we had been speaking in the bedroom only moments ago. Perhaps it was the darkness of the night that created a surreal aura.

Everything became much more serious in our new setting, at least it did in my mind. The realization that we were really about to create a drug empire in the center of my hometown rose in me. A day ago, I wouldn't have believed anybody if they even told me there was actually a certified drug-dealer in Southfield. Sure, there were people who sold weed, but I was under the impression that that was about it.

Now, I stood against some man I had just met's car as we spoke about doing the most absurd thing that I'd ever considered. But there was a pleasantry to it. As crazy as it was to say, I was slightly excited by the path I was about to tread on. Nothing was more exciting to me than the thought of becoming some sort of hero for my best friend and saving him from his perils. All my life I had wanted to change somebody else's, and now this was my opportunity to do it for Keith.

The conversation with my newly formed crew had ended after Wan suggested meeting up the following day to further discuss things.

Which is exactly what we did.

Alex and I linked up in the morning, running a few errands and getting haircuts. We didn't talk much about what happened the day before. Perhaps it was a harsh concept to wrap his now sober mind around. Either way, there was no turning back now from the agreement we had made with Wan to meet up at Buddy's Pizza in Detroit.

I glanced over at Alex before parking the car. His eyes hung low and he looked like he was far beyond tired. His fingers moved mechanically as he scrolled through something on his phone. I wasn't used to him being this quiet.

"Something on your mind, bud?" I asked him. His eyes lifted only slightly to gaze out of the car window. He slowly shook his head before returning his attention back to his phone. I saw through it. "Don't lie to me."

"One of my fish died this morning," Alex said frankly. "What if that's some kind of omen or something? They were perfectly fine until you came back in town."

Just how Alex found funny things funnier than they actually were, it was kind of the same thing with "depressing" things. He didn't look too sad, though, more-so concerned.

Of course I blew him off and told him that he was thinking too much. However, I was a firm believer in signs, superstition, karma, and all that other stuff. In the back of my mind, I kind of took what he said to heed.

While turning to look out of the window in thought, I noticed the Maserati parked a few spots from us. It was Wan's beloved car. The thing was downright gorgeous and I wanted one of my own one day, instead of this beat-up Pontiac. It was way out of my price-range right now, and Wan could probably only have afforded it with the money he made while dealing.

On the assumption that our cohort was already inside, Alex and I made our way towards the pizzeria. As soon as we entered, I was able to spot Wan's spectacled face eyeing us from a booth in the corner. He adjusted his Detroit Tiger's cap as we walked towards him.

"Good evening, sir," I said as I slid in across from him in the booth. Alex scooched in right beside me. Wan looked me over and extended his hand for me to shake, which I did.

"You don't have to call me sir or anything, you know." He said after greeting Alex. Before I could say anything, Alex responded for me.

"That's just a thing he does. He calls everybody sir and ma'am. Don't ask me why."