Chapter 7: Party Girls

At this point, it was about ten at night. I usually loved driving at night, but the sound of Alex slurping on a Wendy's milkshake was taking me out of my zone. Between swallows, he would lean over and ask me questions as I drove down Evergreen.

"Are you sure about this? You're not much of a partier, so I don't want you just sitting in a corner silently judging everybody in your head." He said. For the fiftieth time, I told him that I was fine.

"Don't worry about that. I'm not the same buzz kill that I used to be. And besides, we're not going for the party. It's the person that's at that party that we want." I replied, starting to press down on the brake pedal. I turned the radio down, a habit I had when trying to find a specific house.

"Yeah, but are you sure about that too? You haven't talked to her in some years, and she doesn't really fuck with you if we're being honest."

"Yeah, well, it doesn't matter now since we're already here. That girl is gonna help us one way or another." I stated. I made a sharp turn just as Alex sat his milkshake on the dashboard, causing the cup to come flying in my direction. It smacked against my destroyer jacket and left it covered in chocolate frosty. I swore under my breath at my luck while Alex apologized to me.

"Just go on without me. I'm gonna change in the car right quick." I told him as I parked the car. He slowly got out of the car, probably unsure if I was mad at him or not. I wasn't. I knew that I had to have some clothes in the trunk somewhere.

"Just make sure you find me." Alex walked off, headed towards the house that had music blaring throughout the entire neighborhood. I crawled into the backseat and opened the trunk from there. I noticed that I only had one outfit back there and it wasn't really the look I was going for for tonight. But fuck it, I thought. I quickly changed into the button-up shirt and slacks.

"Dawg, I don't even have dress shoes! I'm going to look like a damn ham!" I screamed at myself, cursing the pair of Jordan 11s on my feet. But clearly I couldn't go in just my socks, so I kept my gym shoes on and marched towards the party in silent rage.

There were so many bodies littering the front yard of this house, the smell of alcohol filling my nostrils. I moved through the sea of red cups and made my way up the porch. I felt embarrassment in my outfit with each step, but luckily nobody said anything. Maybe it was because it was too dark to really see anything.

As I made it to the entrance, I noticed some short dude standing right in the doorway. I tried to squeeze past him but he stepped in front of me, his eyes locked with mine. At this point I knew that he was trying to keep me out of the house. Typical ass party gatekeeper.

"Who do you know here?" He asked with his arms folded across his chest. I was about to tell him to just let me in, but a slurred voice interjected.

"We know Markel."

I looked over at Alex, who was staring down the doorkeeper with fierce eyes and red cup in hand. How he had obtained alcohol already, I could only guess. They glared at each other for another moment before the man took a step back and beckoned us in. Clearly, that was the password.

"Who is Markel?" I whispered to my friend as we entered the house. I could barely hear him through the madness, but he told me that the dude was Instagram famous or something and that this was his party.

The smell of potent marijuana hit us in the face almost immediately as we came to what I assumed was the living room. I didn't know which was louder, the blasting music or the ganja.

The party was ridiculous though, and there were too many images coming at me as soon as I stepped into it. I looked to my left and there was a pair of girls having a full-on kissing session against the wall. I looked to my right and there were two dudes taking turns chugging down liquor. I looked in front of me and Alex was already taking shots of Fireball. I rolled my eyes because I knew I was in for a long night.