Chapter 11: The Highland

Disclaimer:

If you live in Highland Park or a similar area, please don't be offended. Keep in mind that this is a fictional book and some things will be slightly exaggerated for specific reasons. But enjoy!

...

Here I was once again. Going along with something that I knew wasn't right. I would blame the lack of the word "no" in my vocabulary, but that wouldn't be totally correct. I was to blame. My decision to stick to this absurd plan would probably be the dumbest idea of my life.

I had a very strong moral compass, but the last two days had taken a hammer and smashed it. Or maybe that's not right, no. My moral compass wasn't smashed. Just tucked away until a time when I would need it again. I already said my apologies to God for that decision, and I hoped that there wouldn't be too many sins that I'd have to ask him to forgive when all was said and done.

Now I was on the road again, following closely behind Wan's fancy car. He hadn't given us much information and was very vague when asked questions about what was up. I hated that too. When I ask questions, I want answers.

I'm a detail-oriented person by nature, so when there are too many blanks in my mind, hesitancy makes an appearance. It was out of my character to just accompany people and be down for whatever unless I had fullproof details about what the plan was. But I had to push that to the back of my mind.

For now, I forced myself to accept Wan's vagueness and tag along like a little puppy.

And to my left was puppy number two, Alex. I gave him a quick glance. He seemed apprehensive. But I expected no less. He was more suburban than I was, and I knew he was totally out of his element. Growing up in a nice place like West Bloomfield, he had no business in this part of town. His strong loyalty to both myself and also Keith were the only reasons that he was currently with me.

If my moral compass wasn't tucked away, I would've felt bad for dragging him into this. He remained a consistent friend for years and I repaid him by putting his life in danger. I would definitely have to make it up to him when this was all over. For now, he was my most sane and reliable ally.

I have to admit, though, It was kind of relieving to know that there was an even more misplaced person on this mission than me. Whereas Alex was completely unexposed to such a gritty lifestyle, I had at least spent my fair share of time hanging around people like Wan. Or at least suburban dudes playing hood. Who knows? But either way, they winded up in questionable situations in questionable neighborhoods.

And what was to blame? Me and my unyielding ability to befriend even the rowdiest of the rough boys. More than once, I would wind up in suburban mischief because of the people I happen to be with at the time. I never partook. Shit, I refused to even egg somebody's house, let alone commit a serious crime. But I assume that doesn't mean I was innocent. Turning a blind eye to my friends' actions wasn't much better. But all that I remained blind to in the past would soon be right in my unwavering focus.

I felt anxious.

Out the window to my left, a street sign read "Golden Gate."

Ironic.

There was absolutely nothing pristine about the area. Spiffed-up ghosts of department stores, ruined factories, and vacant lots gave way to empty sidewalks and piles of arsonists' ash. Behind six-foot high brick walls, mansions laid unheated and crumbling. We had passed a massive complex of reinforced concrete, broken glass, and high chain-link fences along the way. I knew it to be the old Henry Ford plant, reminding me of that famous Philip Levine poem. "What Work Is":