CHAPTER ELEVEN

"Spirits of courage, then," Ban guessed. "Waves know I've seen my share of goblin bravery."

Rippling Moon gave a short and deriding laugh. "Death Fire is clouded."

It was nearing midday, and Ban's legs were starting to tire again. Marching overland on foot and in full plate was a fool thing to do. He fed a small measure of ether into the sigils on his greaves to make the trek a bit easier.

Moon led the way. So far, she hadn't pointed out any dangers worthy of being called black, though she had been the one that pointed out this deer path through a thick part of the forest. Ban often found himself needing to duck or push his way through tangled boughs, but this shortcut would take several hours off of their journey.

"And you're certain you're not deer spirits?" Ban asked.

"Rocker. Little sisters and brothers..."

"Are their own spirit. Yes, you said, but why the hooves and antlers then?"

Moon looked over her shoulder at him. Her expression all but shouted that she thought him to be an idiot. "Is form that was gifted."

"Why do you persist, mortal?" Kimpo asked in exasperation. The red dragon, still in wolf's form, walked directly behind him. "She's already told you that if humans have a word for the kind of spirit goblins came from, she doesn't know it."

Ban shrugged. "I'm curious. What can I say?"

From his shoulder, Deebee grunted in displeasure as his shrug jostled her. Ban wasn't yet used to having a little, winged lizard perched next to his head.

"For that matter," Kimpo went on, "why are you sitting on the rune knight, my Storyteller? Is something wrong with your feet?"

Deebee looked down from her spot. "I've grown accustomed to this," she replied. "Truth be told, this human makes an excellent mount. There's much more room than when I'm sitting on Enfri's shoulders."

    Mount? Ban thought with an irritated grimace.

"The pauldrons make for a fine bedding," Deebee continued. "Have you ever reclined on steel, my Huntress?"

Kimpo barked a laugh. "Ice, yes. Stone, yes. Never steel."

"Perhaps you ought give it a try before giving it your disdain."

"Oh, please do," Ban muttered under his breath. "The more the merrier."

"I'd need to become... something smaller," Kimpo said uncertainly.

"And? We are precisely as large as we need to be, Kimpo. No more."

Kimpo didn't sound convinced. "You may enjoy being a mockery of your true self, but..."

"Mockery?" Deebee protested. "The nerve. An homage, my Huntress. This form allows for all the beauty and grace of our truest selves without all the attention that brings."

"You're careless with your polymorphy," Kimpo said. "A dragon should only change forms when it's needed. When I am not myself, I am a wolf. That is how it should be."

"Oh, very well," Deebee sighed. "I suppose if reds are frightened of becoming something new..."

There was a flurry of wings beating against Ban's ear and a small weight to match the one on his left shoulder settled upon his right. Kimpo now sat as a tiny dragon, black scales with red patterns. She lacked her curving horns at this size.

"I'm proud of you, my Huntress," Deebee said. "How does that feel beneath your scales?"

"Hmm, I do see the appeal," Kimpo admitted. "I could do with a brief respite, so I will try this out a bit longer. That is, if it isn't a bother, mortal."